Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Carpus

Default Rick and Morty Songwriter Class

First of all, this is my first post and I would like to say how much my friends and I have LOVED to play this game since the moment we found out of its existence. We can't get enough despite the very heated arguments and betrayals we have with each other. Can't wait to play more!

That being said, some arguments we have (despite my girlfriend and I being the owners and having the final say) don't get resolved. We understand each other's points being made but cannot come to an agreement on what the actual meaning is. I will be posting more of these arguments when I remember which ones we always argue over are (and can't find them already answered) but for starters here's the biggest we argue over when playing the Rick and Morty version:

When a card (one shot, item, anything that gives a + bonus) has an effect that increases the bonus, does songwriter increase the total bonus given by the card or only the original bonus stated at the top?

For example:
I used a Mr. Meeseeks one shot during an opponents combat which gives an original bonus of +3. The effect on the card states "You may discard up to three additional cards when you use this card, each for an extra +3." After it is played, i discarded the 3 cards for an extra +9. Then I used the songwriter class effect to "make up a rhyme for a one-shot item to double its bonus." Does that increase the total value to 24 bonus ((Original 3 + 9 effect) * 2 songwriter) or is it only 15 ((original 3 *2) + 9 effect)?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to reading what you have to say!
Carpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
Valkyrie

Default Re: Rick and Morty Songwriter Class

I am honestly not sure, but I think it would be (3+3+3)*2, but if you used the songwriter THEN the Mr. Meeseks it would be 3*2+3+3. In your case, It would be the first one and it would be a +18.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
Abeaushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpus View Post
When a card (one shot, item, anything that gives a + bonus) has an effect that increases the bonus, does songwriter increase the total bonus given by the card or only the original bonus stated at the top?

For example:
I used a Mr. Meeseeks one shot during an opponents combat which gives an original bonus of +3. The effect on the card states "You may discard up to three additional cards when you use this card, each for an extra +3." After it is played, i discarded the 3 cards for an extra +9. Then I used the songwriter class effect to "make up a rhyme for a one-shot item to double its bonus." Does that increase the total value to 24 bonus ((Original 3 + 9 effect) * 2 songwriter) or is it only 15 ((original 3 *2) + 9 effect)?
In this example, I would say that you get +12*2 for your grand total of +24. Why? Because Mr. Meeseeks' wording grants the +3s per discarded card 'when you use it'. The Songwriter effect can come after (once per combat). 4 cards is still quite expensive for +24 so it also seems balanced this way to boot!
Abeaushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

The +24 is correct. The bonus the one-shot gives after you've discarded is +12, the other card then doubles the effect of the one-shot to bring you to +24.