Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 06-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #121
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Multiplayer Fridays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
You two really are masochists, trying to sort this one out.
If we don't do it, who will? We are willing to take a few hits to get it sorted out for everyone else. Without working multiplayer, this game will never get anywhere. :-(
Old 06-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #122
AurochJake

Thanks for all of this information GranitePenguin and Selenite - this game has clearly desynced, so all of the odd behaviour you've seen later in the game is a result of this. These, in a way, aren't bugs, as you wouldn't see them without the desync.

What I'm trying to work out is where the desync occurred, as if we can eliminate this, you shouldn't see any of the odd behaviour that followed.

You mentioned Overruns occurring in this game. Was it before or after these Overrun attacks you began noticing the issues with disabled units (or further, were these disabled units left over from an Overrun attack)?

This might help in tracking it down.

Thanks as always!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #123
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
You two really are masochists, trying to sort this one out.
It's mostly fun. My end looked clean until the very end. And it beats beating up on the AI again ("Let's leave four armor units sitting in the back row and see if I can beat the Mk III.")

Jake, the only overrun initiated by the attacker was toward the end one turn before the main GEV force exited. 6-8 GEVs overran two infantry. The INF combined their fire on a single GEV, not optimum. The disables GP saw were all earlier than that.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #124
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
It's mostly fun. My end looked clean until the very end. And it beats beating up on the AI again ("Let's leave four armor units sitting in the back row and see if I can beat the Mk III.")
Agreed. I'll take a good loss over a bad win any day.

Quote:
Jake, the only overrun initiated by the attacker was toward the end one turn before the main GEV force exited. 6-8 GEVs overran two infantry. The INF combined their fire on a single GEV, not optimum. The disables GP saw were all earlier than that.
"6-8 GEVs" hah. That's really the question, isn't it? :-)

Jake,
The desync happened (for me, anyway) around turn 4. Without a full replay of the game, I can't say exactly when, but it was _very_ early in the game for me. What was really odd is _every_ attack I did that resulted in a Disabled GEV, left it disabled (visually) for the rest of the game on my side.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #125
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Agreed. I'll take a good loss over a bad win any day.

"6-8 GEVs" hah. That's really the question, isn't it? :-)

Jake,
The desync happened (for me, anyway) around turn 4. Without a full replay of the game, I can't say exactly when, but it was _very_ early in the game for me. What was really odd is _every_ attack I did that resulted in a Disabled GEV, left it disabled (visually) for the rest of the game on my side.
Hey GranitePenguin - Tomas here I've emailed you this anyhow, but letting you (and everyone else know this here). We're working away on the issue tomorrow. We've got a battery of tests planned to see if we can break the MP game and so shed some light on the issue as looking at both game and MP server logs is suggesting connectivity issues. However we'd rather be certain what the issue is, so we're doing a deep-dive. I'll keep you and everyone else posted on what we find.

Thanks again for you, and everyone's else's support and patience.

Tomas
Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #126
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochDigital View Post
Hey GranitePenguin - Tomas here I've emailed you this anyhow, but letting you (and everyone else know this here). We're working away on the issue tomorrow. We've got a battery of tests planned to see if we can break the MP game and so shed some light on the issue as looking at both game and MP server logs is suggesting connectivity issues. However we'd rather be certain what the issue is, so we're doing a deep-dive. I'll keep you and everyone else posted on what we find.

Thanks again for you, and everyone's else's support and patience.

Tomas
Sounds great. Hopefully the source can be found. There are few things as frustrating as an issue that isn't easily reproducible. If you can't see it, you can't fix it. :-(
Old 06-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #127
selenite

Thanks for the update. I appreciate the work you're putting into this.

And if the problem is too hard to track down I'd be happy with a workaround such as restarting the program after each turn.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #128
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Sounds great. Hopefully the source can be found. There are few things as frustrating as an issue that isn't easily reproducible. If you can't see it, you can't fix it. :-(
Reporting back on long day of work and our progress. We think we have a solution. So after lots more attempts to recreate it, as what we have is a corrupted turn on the server. We can't inspect it as it is encrypted and the corruption has damaged any ability to decrypt it. what we thought to do was to run a search on the game server for other turns that 'look' similar. We found 1 other so total of two corrupted turns in over 345,000 messages. One from Dec 2017 and this one. So what we're doing right now is put in another set of error protection routines on the server end that scans for this sort of turn, then if one appears, asks the game to re-send it until it looks right.

If this is not the issue, then these sort of turns will still appear. If it is, then this should catch it.

For now we've 'banked' the other fixes we'd been working on into a Beta (password 9UtpzAM9RVKakE52) if anyone wants to check it out. Would suggest not starting any new MP games with this as we're going to change the MP structure in it.

Multiplayer:
  • Fixed bug in multiplayer where camouflage stacks did not correctly refresh for both players.
General bug fixes:
  • Improved moving or deleting a single squad of infantry during deployment no longer shows the context menu if they are a squad of 2 or 3.
  • Fixed bug where Deployment selection states were not always updating correctly.
  • Fixed bug in deployment where units occasionally became un-selectable after moving.

Another update tomorrow and we'll move these into the main branch, assuming things go to plan! Thanks :)

Last edited by AurochDigital; 06-10-2018 at 12:52 PM.
AurochDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #129
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochDigital View Post
Reporting back on long day of work and our progress. We think we have a solution...
Another update tomorrow and we'll move these into the main branch, assuming things go to plan! Thanks :)
Any progress is a good thing. Too bad this is such an annoying one to track down.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #130
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I have Ogre up and running waiting to match. If anybody is around I'm ready for more multiplayer testing. :-)