Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
MrTim

Default Re: GURPS 3E to 4E Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Packer View Post
Anyone taken the time to advance the ship design rules to include jump drives higher than 3, if not higher tech weaponry?
Jump drives are easy: 1 space per 100 dtons, plus 1 x jump number spaces per 100 dtons. Fuel requirement is 10% of hull size per jump number. The only question is where to put the TL breaks; my inclination is to say that anything up to at least TTL 15 is G(4)TL 11.
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #12
Rupert

Coming back to this:

For tech levels I use:
Code:
Trav TL   GURPS TL
 0         0
 1         1 
 1         2
 1         3
 2         4
 3         5
 4         6 
 5         6
 6         7 
 7         7
 8         8
 9         9 
10 (A)     9
11 (B)     9    
12 (C)    10  
13 (D)    10
14 (E)    11
15 (F)    11
16 (G)    11
17+       12
For spaceship design I use GURPS Spaceships, and so have a few house rules to get a better fit. The primary one is for jump drives and fuel. I have jump drives take one system, regardless of rating. They cost as a standard hyperdrive times (jump rating + 1)/2 (though that might be too cheap, and twice or even five times this might fit Traveller better). A J-drive requires either its rating in power-points for a full 10 minute turn, or half that for two 10-minute turns.

The fuel requirement is jump distance in systems. This might seem low, but Spaceships assumes a lot of systems are eaten up in stuff that takes up little space in a CT ship, so it works out fairly well.

As you'd expect from the above TL table, TL9 limits you to J1-2, TL10 to J3-4, and TL11 allows J5-6.

As a matter of campaign feel, I use the electro-mechanical computer option, which means that TL10 computers are only about as capable as ours today.

As a rule of thumb, the mass of a ship for Spaceships can be taken from" Traveller Displacement Tons x 4 to 4.5, round to nearest standard SM/mass. Round in whichever direction seems to make the most sense. Most small craft are 100 tons, a Shuttle or a Type-S scout is 300 tons, 200-300 ton traders are 1000 tons, a 400 ton subbie or a 600t ton liner are 3000 tons, as is a Broadsword. It's pretty coarse, but it's been working for me.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I've seen one of the writers/editors (Kromm?) has a "My GURPS" page on Traveller. Spaceship elements, racial templates, etc.

http://www.mygurps.com/index.php?p=i&a=1t&v=0#traveller
Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #14
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I've seen one of the writers/editors (Kromm?) has a "My GURPS" page on Traveller. Spaceship elements, racial templates, etc.

http://www.mygurps.com/index.php?p=i&a=1t&v=0#traveller
That would be PK.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:42 AM   #15
gkzhukov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Coming back to this:

For tech levels I use:
Code:
Trav TL   GURPS TL
 0         0
 1         1 
 1         2
 1         3
 2         4
 3         5
 4         6 
 5         6
 6         7 
 7         7
 8         8
 9         9 
10 (A)     9
11 (B)     9    
12 (C)    10  
13 (D)    10
14 (E)    11
15 (F)    11
16 (G)    11
17+       12
For spaceship design I use GURPS Spaceships, and so have a few house rules to get a better fit. The primary one is for jump drives and fuel. I have jump drives take one system, regardless of rating. They cost as a standard hyperdrive times (jump rating + 1)/2 (though that might be too cheap, and twice or even five times this might fit Traveller better). A J-drive requires either its rating in power-points for a full 10 minute turn, or half that for two 10-minute turns.

The fuel requirement is jump distance in systems. This might seem low, but Spaceships assumes a lot of systems are eaten up in stuff that takes up little space in a CT ship, so it works out fairly well.

As you'd expect from the above TL table, TL9 limits you to J1-2, TL10 to J3-4, and TL11 allows J5-6.

As a matter of campaign feel, I use the electro-mechanical computer option, which means that TL10 computers are only about as capable as ours today.

As a rule of thumb, the mass of a ship for Spaceships can be taken from" Traveller Displacement Tons x 4 to 4.5, round to nearest standard SM/mass. Round in whichever direction seems to make the most sense. Most small craft are 100 tons, a Shuttle or a Type-S scout is 300 tons, 200-300 ton traders are 1000 tons, a 400 ton subbie or a 600t ton liner are 3000 tons, as is a Broadsword. It's pretty coarse, but it's been working for me.
Interesting. Please also check Jon F. Zeigler's (author, GURPS Interstellar Wars) post here:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=10

Does anybody know if the starship construction tables contained in such sourcebook were ever extended beyond the TL's mentioned in it?
Old 09-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
Rupert

The reason I didn't follow Interstellar Wars' tech level progression is that it comes up against the effect TL12 limit of UT and Spaceships way too soon, so I'd be having to make up a big list of TL12, TL11^, and TL12^ items and what Traveller TL they corresponded to. As that would work in direct opposition to my main reason to just use 4e and UT, etc. (laziness), I ruled it out early on.

My scale cuts down on the tech that's not available enough that I can rule Yes/No on a case by case basis as it comes up (especially as TL11 items tend to be found items, as I'm running a New Era game). It also leaves me with all of TL12 for ancients' tech if I want it.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
traveller