Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 12-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
cptbutton

Default Marine ceremonies and uniforms

I have a Storium character in a Traveller game who is a retired Imperial Marine in the Spinward Marches.

In a recent combat he ruined his cutlass. I am planning a scene where he goes to buy another one and goes all nostalgic.

Anyone got any pointers on canon or non-canon ceremonies and cutlass traditions?

(Googling turns up too much real world stuff.)

Looking through GT: Ground Forces gives me a reference to the beret presentation at the end of training. Is a cutlass given also?

Does cutlass tradition make a big deal about someone's individual cutlass, or is that not important?

Are there occasions where special cutlasses are presented for some accomplishment?

Separate question: Does a retired Marine still wear his uniform on formal occasions, or is that bad form?

TIA
cptbutton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Marine ceremonies and uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Does cutlass tradition make a big deal about someone's individual cutlass
There are many like it, but this one is mine?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
ak_aramis

Quote:
Separate question: Does a retired Marine still wear his uniform on formal occasions, or is that bad form?
It's been implied by several adventures that many retirees continue to wear the uniform (or at least parts of it), and not just the formal uniform.

I can't think of any canonical statements either way. What we do see of Imperial customs seems to be a hybrid of US and UK military traditions.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
jason taylor

Quote:
I have a Storium character in a Traveller game who is a retired Imperial Marine in the Spinward Marches.

In a recent combat he ruined his cutlass. I am planning a scene where he goes to buy another one and goes all nostalgic.

Anyone got any pointers on canon or non-canon ceremonies and cutlass traditions?

(Googling turns up too much real world stuff.)

Looking through GT: Ground Forces gives me a reference to the beret presentation at the end of training. Is a cutlass given also?

Does cutlass tradition make a big deal about someone's individual cutlass, or is that not important?

Are there occasions where special cutlasses are presented for some accomplishment?

TIA
GF: doesn't give anything that would contradict such things and anything can be done with it.

One idea you didn't think of is to not just have a new one issued but have the old cutlass hung up at the trophy room at the regimental depot.

Last edited by jason taylor; 12-25-2014 at 04:51 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

This is how the Marines would do it in My TU, but they might come from Astrin bulkhead frames, or maybe a full mag of 4mm rounds is forged into a damascus style billet, or they come from the battlesuit helmet or visor, etc. But you get the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTZ3lfQdSOE
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
tanksoldier

There's something written somewhere, don't recall which version, that a noble's cost of living is reduced slightly if they are a veteran as they can wear their dress uniform to formal occasions rather than paying for expensive civilian attire.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
There's something written somewhere, don't recall which version, that a noble's cost of living is reduced slightly if they are a veteran as they can wear their dress uniform to formal occasions rather than paying for expensive civilian attire.
I wonder if that will work out for Count what-his-name who is slumming as an enlisted man in GT:GF

Last edited by cptbutton; 01-18-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
cptbutton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Uniforms are fairly expensive and wear out just like civilian clothes do.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
The Navy Commander's uniform for Archduke Norris is much less expensive than the tux he would wear to a formal event, and he would only wear the tux once.

Likewise the tux a Baron would wear vs his Army Major's uniform.

Even if they both gave themselves promotions (Domain Admiral for Norris, Colonel of his huscarl regiment for the Baron) their uniforms would STILL be less than the civilian tuxes... that they would only wear once.

Also, a character might suddenly find themselves invited to a formal event. Wearing their mess dress is a viable alternative to finding a tuxedo shop at the last minute, and gives them an "in" and place at an Imperial social event. Even if they don't belong to the aristocracy, being a Captain of Marines or even an Army Staff Sergeant is nothing to sneeze at in Imperial society, which generally regards military service highly.

Quote:
I wonder if that will work out for Count what-his-name who is slumming as an enlisted man
One might assume that once the noble leaves service and assumes his role in the aristocracy he receives and honorary commission and promotion (courtesy rank)... however, it depends on the rank and career. Being a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Sylean Rangers might me just fine for a Baron or even a Subsector Duke.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-18-2015 at 06:45 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
At present, yes. At future tech levels wear may not be significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
The Navy Commander's uniform for Archduke Norris is much less expensive than the tux he would wear to a formal event, and he would only wear the tux once.
Neither suggestion is necessarily the case. No. 3 uniform is doubtless less expensive than a high-fashion dinner suit, but No. 1 is covered with epaulettes and aiglettes and gold braid, which isn't cheap, No. 2 is a fancy tux with gold braid here and there, and Full Dress is basically an evening suit (white tie type) except fancier and with gold braid all over it. So equivalent naval uniform probably isn't cheaper than the corresponding naval uniform in the case of the current RN. It still could be with respect to the Imperial Navy. But it's not certain to be.

You can wear a tux more than once. I've worn mine more than once.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-18-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beret, ceremonies, cutlass, marines, traveller