Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-28-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
CaptainChwelve

I'd really like some sleeves to put my cards in. Ones specifically made for Munchkin. You know, with doors and treasure printed on the back? I play quite a bit and my cards are taking a beating. I've checked the online store and didn't see any. Do they exist??

I would also like them so that you wouldn't be able to identify which booster or expansion your cards are from by looking at the draw deck. It'd be nice to have a uniform look to all my cards. I love this game!!!

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 11-28-2014 at 05:23 AM.
CaptainChwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
CaptainChwelve

Default Re: Card sleeves

This post may be suited better as a suggestion for the warehouse 23 forum... Can an admin move it over so I don't double post?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChwelve View Post
This post may be suited better as a suggestion for the warehouse 23 forum... Can an admin move it over so I don't double post?
It is fine here. Please don't post about card sleeves in the W23 subforum.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

We do not offer Munchkin card sleeves and have not announced any plans to do so.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
CaptainChwelve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
We do not offer Munchkin card sleeves and have not announced any plans to do so.

Darn! Thanks for letting me know.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
AOTA

How about clear card sleeves? So you can see both sides of the cards. Has anyone seen ones that might fit Munchkin cards?
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
UncleBob

Not to spam, but Mayday's almost-a-penny sleeves fit *and* they're 40% off right now. I almost bit on ordering 30 packs of them along with sleeves for the Apoco seals and Coup, but shipping killed my enthusiasm from hitting that order button.

I think we Munchkin fans should get together and get some clear sleeves printed up that have "Shark", "Dragon", "Goblin", etc. printed up (in plain font, nothing trademark infringing) so we can sleeve all those types of cards in such a way that they show what they are without defacing them. ;)
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
JimABassPlayer

I recently attempted trial packs of the aforementioned sleeves (both the standard and premium sleeves) -- acquiring one pack of each to see how they work.

The good news is that the 56mm X 87mm sleeves do snugly fit Munchkin cards.

The bad news is that while the premium sleeves are thicker than the standard sleeves (at twice the price), neither the standard nor the premium sleeves are like protective hard-shell card cases. As such, while they will certainly keep cards from getting dirty and/or marked (and possibly the edges from becoming frayed) they will not prevent the cards from getting bent.

As I have close to 3k cards, it would cost me more than $80 (standard) or $160 (premium) to sleeve all my cards. If it would protect them from being bent, I might consider it. That it doesn't makes acquiring such not worth the expense to me at this time.
JimABassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
Mister Ed

I cannot even imagine attempting to play Munchkin (or really any card game) with sleeves that were rigid enough to prevent bending. I thought those kinds of hard shell cases were mostly for collecting purposes, not play.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
JimABassPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I cannot even imagine attempting to play Munchkin (or really any card game) with sleeves that were rigid enough to prevent bending. I thought those kinds of hard shell cases were mostly for collecting purposes, not play.
I agree. I was just giving an assessment of the sleeves, having tried them.

I am aware of no reasonable way of both preserving cards and playing with them -- sadly, no way of eating our cake and still having it afterwards.

I have never tried sleeving an entire deck, so I don't know how awkward that would be. (sleeving -- is that an appropriate verb?)

As far as keeping the cards clean, I always play with house rules of absolutely no food or beverage at the card table (and everyone has washed hands). I've been doing that for years with every conceivable type of playing card, and it's got to the point that I don't even have to tell people anymore. They all know it by now.

As such, there would be no point in me spending a considerable sum to sleeve cards just from getting dirty, as my cards do not get dirty (see above house rules). (Any and all eating/drinking is done during breaks, at a location nowhere in the vicinity of the cards.)

As far as bending the cards goes, the only person to ever bend a card of mine was my sister (just a few weeks ago). She was properly chastised, and will never be allowed within city limits whenever we may be gaming in the future.

Last edited by JimABassPlayer; 12-01-2014 at 05:08 PM.
JimABassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, mint, protectors, sleeves