Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
copeab

Default [WWII] PzKpfSchrt I "Black Widow" robotic spider (German, fictional)

PzKpfSchrt I Schwarzewitwe Ausf B robotic walker
Copyright 2009 by Brandon Cope

"Soon Hitler's giant, mechanical spiders had pushed past the Maginot Line."
-- Crow, MST3K: The Giant Spider Invasion

The "Black Widow" is an early-war robotic mecha built in limited numbers, designed to be turned loose on unsuspecting infantry. To aid it's fear factor, it is made to resemble a spider and is painted black and equipped with slightly articulated (but non functional) fangs. The winch is of dubious value, used to hoist fully loaded infantry up after the Schwarzewitwe climbed an obstacle. In combat, this was found to be of little use.

The Schwarzewitwe uses 2,25 gallons of gasoline per hour at routine usage.

Subassemblies: Light Walker chassis +1, 8¥Compact Walker legs +0.
Powertrain: 50-kW gasoline engine with 48-kW legged transmission and 18-gallon standard fuel tank; 4,000-kWs batteries
Occupancy: none Cargo: none.

Armor
Body: F 4/80, RL 4/60, B 4/40, TU 4/60
Legs: 4/40

Weaponry
2¥Ground LMG/MG 34 [Body:F] (1,000 each)..*
Medium Vehicular Flamethrower [Body:F] (30).
* Linked

Equipment
Body: TL(5+1) microframe computer with robotic brain (Complexity 2, IQ 5, DX 9), basic sensor/communication package, short range radio, searchlight [F], 4¥smoke dischargers [B], 250-lb winch [B]

Statistics
Size: 12'¥9'¥6'
Payload: 0.13 tons
Lwt: 4.43 tons
Volume: 27
Maint.: 31 hours
Price: $42,700

HT: 8.
HP: 75 Body, 18 each Leg.

gSpeed: 40
aAccel: 3
aDecel: 20
aMR: 1
aSR: 2
Low Ground Pressure. Full Off-Road Speed.

Design Notes
The mecha and robotic rules from W:WW were used. Leg cost, weight and HP were halved to represent their relatively light construction Half a winch module was purchased..

Variants
The Ausf B had much lighter armor (DR 30 body, DR 15 legs) with gSpeed 46 and HT 9. However, it was felt to be too poorly protected for the vehicle's expense and was only used to train infantry.

The Ausf C was designed to operate alone deep behind the lines in Russia (and was later used in North Africa). It was uparmored (double DR in all locations, including legs). It replaces the flamethrower with two KwK 30 cannons (20mm Long Ground AC) with 225 rounds each. A pair of MG 34's (with 500 rpg) were added to the rear as "tail chasers". The winch was removed and a smaller engine (42 kW) and transmission (40 kW) were fitted, but it held more fuel (51 gallons, giving a range of 480 miles at 18 mph). HT 7, LWt 6.6 tons, gAccel 2, gSpeed 30, cost $41,900.

The late-war Ausf E had perfected the legged transmission and used an improved computer (treat as TL(6+1), with IQ 6). This dropped cost to $13,400 and Maint. to 55 hours. Fuel tankage was 18 gallons andd lWt 6.5 tons, but design was otherwise the same as the Ausf D. Some were experimentally fitted with 23mm and 37mm autocannons salvaged from downed Russian aircraft.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 10-19-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added Ausf C; revised/renamed Ausf G
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Tema69

Default Re: [WWII] PzKpfSchrt I "Black Widow" robotic spider (German, fictional)

Pretty neat concept. I had planned something similar for a d20 campaign once. The PCs never got to it though.
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
nick012000

Default Re: [WWII] PzKpfSchrt I "Black Widow" robotic spider (German, fictional)

Is this GURPS 3e?
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
Is this GURPS 3e?
Probably. WWII hasn't been updated to 4e.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
Is this GURPS 3e?
Yes, it is. Shouldn't be hard to covert to 4e if you need to.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
copeab

I have added one variant and revised another. The text below has been edited into the original post.

--

The Ausf C was designed to operate alone deep behind the lines in Russia (and was later used in North Africa). It was uparmored (double DR in all locations, including legs). It replaces the flamethrower with two KwK 30 cannons (20mm Long Ground AC) with 225 rounds each. A pair of MG 34's (with 500 rpg) were added to the rear as "tail chasers". The winch was removed and a smaller engine (42 kW) and transmission (40 kW) were fitted, but it held more fuel (51 gallons, giving a range of 480 miles at 18 mph). HT 7, LWt 6.6 tons, gAccel 2, gSpeed 30, cost $41,900.

The late-war Ausf E had perfected the legged transmission and used an improved computer (treat as TL(6+1), with IQ 6). This dropped cost to $13,400 and Maint. to 55 hours. Fuel tankage was 18 gallons and lWt 6.5 tons, but design was otherwise the same as the Ausf D. Some were experimentally fitted with 23mm and 37mm autocannons salvaged from downed Russian aircraft.

Tags
mecha, wwii