Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #31
corwyn

Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
I'm planning to start my first DFRPG game with as few house rules as possible. Just because it's a new game and it makes sense to give the rules as written a fair shot. Also because that's easier for new players if we keep the DFRPG mostly self-contained rather than pulling in too much stuff from GURPS and overwhelming them.

One area I might want to house rule is languages. The adventure I want to run relies on languages beyond Common a bit, and I think it would be good if most PCs started with two languages. The templates as written only allow more languages for Clerics and Wizards. I think I'm going to make the tiny change to say that everyone can buy more languages, and then maybe even hand out extra points that can only be spent on another language. That way the dwarves and elves will all speak their racial language, without having to mess around with the templates too much to find the points for it. And the other races will also get another language, to be fair.
I like that idea; I like languages to play a part as well. I'd consider giving each character 10 points, only for languages; 4 (or 6) must be spent on a local/racial tongue (so humans would buy a tribal or local dialect/language) or 2/3 if they are completely illiterate.

Quote:
Another area I plan to house rule is character point awards. I want the PCs to return to town at the end of every session, so that if not everyone makes it every time we can easily leave some PCs at home without continuity problems. I play to enforce that by only giving points per delve, not per session. If you insist on staying in the dungeon, fine, but it'll cost you points, so don't. (A cheesy min-maxer might immediately see a loophole: spend the session walking back and forth to the dungeon several times. Said cheeselord would soon learn that the minimum points per delve are zero not one.)
For any player that thinks it's a good tactic to spend the session travelling and not delving, I wouldn't give them 0xp, I'd show them the door.
Quote:
But even for those two small house rules, I'd like to discuss with the players before deciding for sure.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #32
Pseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I like that idea; I like languages to play a part as well. I'd consider giving each character 10 points, only for languages; 4 (or 6) must be spent on a local/racial tongue (so humans would buy a tribal or local dialect/language) or 2/3 if they are completely illiterate.

For any player that thinks it's a good tactic to spend the session travelling and not delving, I wouldn't give them 0xp, I'd show them the door.
Better make it 9 or 12 because languages are on or off in Dungeon Fantasy RPG.

Unless you are house ruling broken and accented fluency.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #33
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Another area I plan to house rule is character point awards. I want the PCs to return to town at the end of every session, so that if not everyone makes it every time we can easily leave some PCs at home without continuity problems.
I've been doing this with my DF game (and now with my new DFRPG game) since 2011. Every adventure starts and ends in the tavern. Since I have forty players each potentially with two characters.

They don't have the option to stay in the "field."