Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-31-2019, 08:46 PM   #11
ak_aramis

Default Re: How would it feel to gain XP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Realistically healthy humans don't experience any kind of euphoria or spirituality from learning, even when they're learning about spirituality or slight of hand.
I know a few for whom learning new things has a definite positive feel. I'm one of them. I get a mild limbic trigger from learning something new; it's just as good as having a piece of pie. (Given the choice, it's 50/50.)

I tried a few runs of the shuttle on an inkle loom. It gave me the same satisfactory sensation as a candy. Even as I realized I'm not interested in doing more work on one.

I get a feeling not unlike mild intoxication while doing research, and have all my life. I know others with similar reactions. In fact, the hardest part of working in the National Archives was not stopping to read all the filed minutiae. That job was like a drug... except for customers.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #12
Michael Cule

Not quite on topic but in a GURPS game in which we were designing/discovering magic as we went along we ended up saying that a person's stock of saved xp was a real thing that a spell could detect. This was so that the PC wizards could explain why sometimes giving a person a new Advantage or curing a Disadvantage caused an equal and opposite loss elsewhere and sometimes just happened without cost.

We called it Fate I think or perhaps it was Karma. Yes, it was a very weird game.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
I get a feeling not unlike mild intoxication while doing research, and have all my life. I know others with similar reactions. In fact, the hardest part of working in the National Archives was not stopping to read all the filed minutiae. That job was like a drug... except for customers.
Yes. There's a definition I read years and years ago by some SF writer: "A dullard is someone who wants to find something out, gets out the encyclopedia, looks up the article on that topic, reads it, and then puts the encyclopedia back on the shelf without reading anything else."

In one of the Low-Tech volumes, probably LTC1, I suggested that a critical failure on a Research roll meant "You find a totally fascinating book or article on something that has nothing to do with your original question."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
PiperHolmes

There has been a number of times in my life where, one day, I struggled with a concept/skill/language, and the next day didn't. Those instances usually resulted in a short term (a few hours or so) 'high'.

I think the closest I felt to actually europhic in a personal improvement was the day I paid off a significant debt. That high lasted three or four months.
PiperHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #15
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In one of the Low-Tech volumes, probably LTC1, I suggested that a critical failure on a Research roll meant "You find a totally fascinating book or article on something that has nothing to do with your original question."
Low-Tech p. 47:

Quote:
[…]critical
failure means [the researcher] finds a really fascinating book that tells
him nothing about his original question.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:53 AM   #16
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperHolmes View Post
I think the closest I felt to actually europhic in a personal improvement…
How has no one mentioned “the quicken”? (HIGHLANDER reference)
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote