Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
quekghi

Default Some questions from a new player.

Hi, I'm new here.

My friends and I have a little argument over our munchkin games.

Let's say Player A is a Level 2 Warrior with a combat strength of 25 due to items bonus and he kicks the door and faces a Level 18 Squidzilla.

As it state it would not choose to pursue anyone of Level 4 or below, Player A then has the options to choose whether to engage the monster or not. Are we right on this?

Let's say he decided to fight since he has a combat strength of 25 vs Squidzilla's 18. He's gonna win, level up twice and gets 4 treasure. The rest of the players decided if he were to get 4 more treasures, he would get even stronger and since the bad stuff was death so Player B uses 2 +10 monster enhancer which bring Squidzilla to 38 combat strength with 8 treasures. Player A then uses doppelgänger which bring his combat strength to 50.

Now here is the thing that we wished to clarify.

1. Player C uses the Mate card. Does it doubles the combat strength of Squidzilla's 38 to 76, or just add duplicate Squidzilla's itself to become 2 monster of combined strength 36 then adding the 2 +10 monster enhancer which total to 56?

2. Either way, it's works against Player A since he has no more power up to use. Now he has to escape. Player A than said, since Squidzilla's would not pursue anyone below Level 4 and he's only Level 2, he escapes automatically. Now Player B and C are unhappy that Player A could just enter battle, uses up other player's Mate and monster enhancer and just leave the battle, abusing the 'will not pursue player or certain level' just to escape without harm. Our point is, once he enter the battle, does he have the rights to use the 'will not pursue player or certain level' to escape automatically in the event he can't win?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.
quekghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Heegu

Default Re: Some questions from a new player.

He would automatically engage in battle and would not have the option of running because his combat strength was higher.

Mate, as far as I know, doubles any monster enhancers played. One shot items (like potions) are not cloned.

After you powered the squidzilla up, he would be able to escape automatically since the monster doesn't chase a low level player.
Heegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
quekghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heegu View Post
He would automatically engage in battle and would not have the option of running because his combat strength was higher.

Mate, as far as I know, doubles any monster enhancers played. One shot items (like potions) are not cloned.

After you powered the squidzilla up, he would be able to escape automatically since the monster doesn't chase a low level player.
but his level was only level 2 while squidzilla would not pursue any of level 4 and below. it does not state anything about combat strength, so does Player A has the choice of whether to engage the monster?

after choosing to engage, he can just escape automatically when he can no longer win. is that what you mean?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
Clipper

You never choose whether to engage a monster or not. You automatically engage it as soon as you reveal it.

What the "does not pursue" clause means is that the monster will not chase you if you must Run Away.

As to your other questions:

1) Mate duplicates the Monster and any Monster Enhancers attached to the monster. Thus the monster side does go to a combat strength of 76. Note that this is covered in the rules too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Anything that enhances a monster also enhances its Mate . . . if Ancient, Enraged, and Mate are played on a single monster, in any order, you are facing an Ancient Enraged monster and its Ancient Enraged Mate.
2) Neither of the two monsters will pursue him so he does escape automatically from each of them in this case. The players would either need to level up the victim to 5 with Go Up a Level cards if they want the Squidzilla and its Mate to chase him down. In that case, he'd only have a 1 in 9 chance of escaping them both (assuming no other modifiers to Run Away).
Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
quekghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
You never choose whether to engage a monster or not. You automatically engage it as soon as you reveal it.

What the "does not pursue" clause means is that the monster will not chase you if you must Run Away.

As to your other questions:

1) Mate duplicates the Monster and any Monster Enhancers attached to the monster. Thus the monster side does go to a combat strength of 76. Note that this is covered in the rules too:

2) Neither of the two monsters will pursue him so he does escape automatically from each of them in this case. The players would either need to level up the victim to 5 with Go Up a Level cards if they want the Squidzilla and its Mate to chase him down. In that case, he'd only have a 1 in 9 chance of escaping them both (assuming no other modifiers to Run Away).
i see. so it is allowed to just escape from squidzilla this way.

but we felt that it's unfair for Player A to win with the combat strength of 25 and getting stronger with the 4 treasures. so maybe i could add it as house rules?

thanks for the clarification
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Pleh

Unfair? How so? Did he cheat to acquire all those items that increased his strength to 25 at level 2? If not, then nothing he did was unfair. He was just winning, not cheating. One of the most sacred rules of every game is that you can't penalize someone for having good luck and skill at the game, setting them back every time they have a winning streak. THAT would be ACTUALLY unfair.

Last edited by Pleh; 10-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Pleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
quekghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
Unfair? How so? Did he cheat to acquire all those items that increased his strength to 25 at level 2? If not, then nothing he did was unfair. He was just winning, not cheating. One of the most sacred rules of every game is that you can't penalize someone for having good luck and skill at the game, setting them back every time they have a winning streak. THAT would be ACTUALLY unfair.
now this makes much more sense. lol. thanks.