Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
F6Knight

Default New player, got some questions

Hey everyone,

I recently played Munchkin for the first time with 3 friends and we had a load of fun.
But we also had a lot of questions during our 2 games.

I already found a lot of answers in the FAQ and on the forums but I still have a few remaining questions.
My apologies if the answers are already out there and I missed them.

1) Can you still sell items for levels during the Charity phase or is this exclusively done at the start of your turn?

2) You may discard a class / race card at any time, even during combat, but are you allowed to play a new class / race card right away?
I assume playing a class / race card follows the standard rules and can only be done at the start of your turn, during charity or when you draw a class / race card during "loot the room"? Just want to be sure.

3) We had a "situation" during our game where I was cursed to always run away from undead monsters. I got a monster (not undead) when kicking down the door and needed help to defeat it. Someone who was at level 7 (while the rest of us were at 1 and 2) decided to help me in return for most of the treasures. I let him help because I had a devious plan. As soon as he agreed to help, I hit the monster with "undead" to give it +5 AND turn it undead.
Now I was forced to run away because of my curse.
My helper however was strong enough to defeat the monster on his own.
We argued for a while and then decided that the helper was also forced to run away.
Was I correct to assume that my curse to run away from undead also applied to him as soon as he agreed to become my helper?
By the way, he failed his run away roll and lost 3 levels from the bad stuff. He still ended up winning the game, but it definately slowed him down a bit.

4) When a gnome uses a monster to add it's level to his combat strenght, is that monster card "in play" for the duration of the combat or not?
If it's "in play", is it considered as a temporary item that gives +19? Can it be targetted by curses?
We had a discussion where someone wanted to use "annihilation" on the monster card I used to boost my combat strenght. We couldn't agree so in,stead he annihilated the monster I was fighting. This denied me the levels and treasure, but I didn't have to run away and possibly suffer the bad stuff. Afterwards I started thinking that I was wrong and that the other player had the right to annihilate the monster I used to boost my combat strenght. Is this correct?

5) If a monster ignores you, can you still attack it?
I was cursed into a female and a few turns later I got the Psycho Squirrel when kicking down the door. My 3 fellow players insisted that it had to be discarded right away because it ignores females. I insisted that I had the right to fight it. I figured, if I whack it on the head with a hammer, it won't ignore me for long ...
The argument was 3 to 1 so I wasn't allowed to fight it :(
Was this correct? Or did I have the right to fight it after all?
F6Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: New player, got some questions

I'm sure most of these have been answered, even recently, but sometimes the search system is hard to manipulate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6Knight View Post
1) Can you still sell items for levels during the Charity phase or is this exclusively done at the start of your turn?
This is something you can do at any time during your turn, just so long as you are not in combat. What the rules say about selling stuff at the beginning of your turn is only to state that your turn starts not when you kick down the door, but when the previous player's turn ends, giving you time to do something you want with cards you have before kicking down the door. So, if you get a bunch of loot after winning a combat, you have the opportunity to do something with it before you have to go into the Charity phase.

Quote:
2) You may discard a class / race card at any time, even during combat, but are you allowed to play a new class / race card right away?
I assume playing a class / race card follows the standard rules and can only be done at the start of your turn, during charity or when you draw a class / race card during "loot the room"? Just want to be sure.
Actually, the rules say that you can play a Class/Race at any time during your turn, or when you've just received one (say, as Charity). This includes during combat, just so long as it's your turn (or, in some way had just received the card).

Quote:
3) We had a "situation" during our game where I was cursed to always run away from undead monsters. I got a monster (not undead) when kicking down the door and needed help to defeat it. Someone who was at level 7 (while the rest of us were at 1 and 2) decided to help me in return for most of the treasures. I let him help because I had a devious plan. As soon as he agreed to help, I hit the monster with "undead" to give it +5 AND turn it undead.
Now I was forced to run away because of my curse.
My helper however was strong enough to defeat the monster on his own.
We argued for a while and then decided that the helper was also forced to run away.
Was I correct to assume that my curse to run away from undead also applied to him as soon as he agreed to become my helper?
By the way, he failed his run away roll and lost 3 levels from the bad stuff. He still ended up winning the game, but it definately slowed him down a bit.
It was your combat. When you leave, your helper is forced to leave as well. If a helper is forced to leave a combat, while you are not, usually the card gives some indication what you must do. Typically, the helper leaves and you can find a new one.

Quote:
4) When a gnome uses a monster to add it's level to his combat strenght, is that monster card "in play" for the duration of the combat or not?
If it's "in play", is it considered as a temporary item that gives +19? Can it be targetted by curses?
We had a discussion where someone wanted to use "annihilation" on the monster card I used to boost my combat strenght. We couldn't agree so in,stead he annihilated the monster I was fighting. This denied me the levels and treasure, but I didn't have to run away and possibly suffer the bad stuff. Afterwards I started thinking that I was wrong and that the other player had the right to annihilate the monster I used to boost my combat strenght. Is this correct?
It counts as in play and can be removed from the game with Annihilation.

Quote:
5) If a monster ignores you, can you still attack it?
I was cursed into a female and a few turns later I got the Psycho Squirrel when kicking down the door. My 3 fellow players insisted that it had to be discarded right away because it ignores females. I insisted that I had the right to fight it. I figured, if I whack it on the head with a hammer, it won't ignore me for long ...
The argument was 3 to 1 so I wasn't allowed to fight it :(
Was this correct? Or did I have the right to fight it after all?
If a Monster says it won't fight you (or attack you, same thing), it won't fight you, and you can't make it change its mind. If a Monster says it won't pursue you, then you can fight it, but when you Run Away from it, your escape will be automatically successful. In short, your friends were correct.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
F6Knight

Thanks for the quick and good answers.
I'm just missing a partial answer for question 3.
If I have active curses on me, does my helper also get those negative effects for the duration of the fight? Or only those that specifially apply to combat?

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 02-14-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Removed new questions
F6Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Thanks for the quick and good answers.
I'm just missing a partial answer for question 3.
If I have active curses on me, does my helper also get those negative effects for the duration of the fight? Or only those that specifially apply to combat?
Only you get the effects of a curse that is affecting you. The main issue about your original question is that the Curse kicked you, the player who initiated the combat, out of the combat. When the player who starts the combat has to Run Away, so does his helper. The helper is only there to help the original player and can't stay to complete the combat on his own (unless a card makes a specific statement saying he can). It is not the case that the curse affected both of you, so you both had to leave. By extension of what I said above, if you're affected by Malign Mirror, a Curse which gives you a -5 penalty in your next combat, when you are in that combat, you have a -5 penalty. If someone helps you, they don't get a -5 penalty as well.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
bonetm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
It counts as in play and can be removed from the game with Annihilation.
Just to add to this: although it is in play, it is not an Item, it is a special bonus. It can't be target by Monster Enhancers or Curses! that affect Items.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote