Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: Physical TFT Components We'd Like to See Offered
Boxes 1 2.94%
Counters (Dark-background versions of existing sets) 8 23.53%
Counters (Monsters & Animals) 24 70.59%
Dice 4 11.76%
Folders 1 2.94%
Journals 2 5.88%
Megahexes 15 44.12%
Megahex Garage 9 26.47%
Playmats 13 38.24%
Spell & Talent Cards 18 52.94%
Trap/Treasure/Encounter Cards 13 38.24%
Other (please explain in your reply) 10 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: Physical TFT Components We'd Like to See Offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
These look like a great idea--durable and very easy to store and organize. I wish the art were better; if there were pawns with art like that of Pat Hidy's classic TFT illustrations, I'd be all in, much as I enjoy counters.
Agree on the art... give me classic Denis Loubet or Jeff Dee figures anytime.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #22
Shostak

The GURPS Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set featured Cardboard Heroes illustrated by Loubet and printed on heavy cardboard. Something like that?
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #23
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
The GURPS Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set featured Cardboard Heroes illustrated by Loubet and printed on heavy cardboard. Something like that?
Very close, yes. IMO the DFRPG pawns are actually too small (less than 40mm on-base) for the updated 1.5" hex-scale preferred by the Legacy Edition. Paizo's format, on the other hand, is a bit larger (closer to 55mm tall on-base for a human-size figure) and works perfectly for TFT's new hex grids. As a result, I would recommend SJG push the size of Cardboard Heroes (assuming they are interested in re-releasing those as a physical product) up to match that of the Pathfinder Pawns.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #24
xane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
... Cardboard Heroes (assuming they are interested in re-releasing those as a physical product)
You can get the PDFs, which is better because you can print as many as you want, most printers do 300 gsm card so folded this is quite a sturdy figure, the only problem is they look far too small on the Legacy Edition 1.5" hexes.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #25
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
You can get the PDFs, which is better because you can print as many as you want, most printers do 300 gsm card so folded this is quite a sturdy figure, the only problem is they look far too small on the Legacy Edition 1.5" hexes.
Yes, I have those and I have had some success in bumping up the size for printing on 120 lbs (325 gsm) cardstock. I prefer the superior thickness used by the Paizo and DFRPG pawns, however.

I would happily buy multiple copies of such a product (or products).
Old 10-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #26
larsdangly

I would actively discourage SJG from producing variant counters that differ strongly in graphic design from those we have, including 'top down' views, alternate background colors and 3D paper figures. I feel like the core materials of the LE set are strong, and that such variants would lead to a shambolic mix of inconsistent components.

A set of miniatures is an interesting idea, but a tough commercial proposition.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #27
ParadoxGames

Cardboard Heroes are cool to play, and I would get right in there playing with them, but I do prefer to use classic hex-and-counter counters.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #28
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I would actively discourage SJG from producing variant counters that differ strongly in graphic design from those we have, including 'top down' views, alternate background colors and 3D paper figures. I feel like the core materials of the LE set are strong, and that such variants would lead to a shambolic mix of inconsistent components.
The original Melee and Wizard microgames had dark-color backgrounds. They are very, very useful. If the Legacy Edition counters were issued with a colored background, they would be harmonious with the standard counters and with the history of TFT.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #29
Steve Plambeck

I for one would appreciate smaller counters and hex maps/mats.

Original Melee and Wizard maps consisted of 7/8" hexes. Every counter and map I've made for decades was based on that size hex. The new counter sizes are too large to be compatible with anything I've made and drawn for all these decades.

The larger hexes also take up way too much table space.

Other than that, I'd love to see outdoor terrain counters, and more animals including riding horses.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:49 AM   #30
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
I for one would appreciate smaller counters and hex maps/mats.

Original Melee and Wizard maps consisted of 7/8" hexes. Every counter and map I've made for decades was based on that size hex. The new counter sizes are too large to be compatible with anything I've made and drawn for all these decades.

The larger hexes also take up way too much table space.

Other than that, I'd love to see outdoor terrain counters, and more animals including riding horses.
I don't expect to see much in the smaller size. At least there's the Pocket Box Melee/Wizard, and we of course have the ability to resize PDFs when we print them.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, counters, dice, game aids