Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #41
Rupert

Default Re: Pterosaur Size, Weight, ST and Maximum Encumbrance when Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I gather, then, that it would not be wildly implausible to propose humans living in a place with a pressure of 1.5-2 atmospheres, with atmospheric oxygen around 30% in the air?

But could such humans (or human like natives) ever form a civilization?

Would they have to find highlands and mountains, where it might be drier and the air pressure less?

Huh, and where they might be competing with pterosaurs with living space!
As I recall, in Space:1889 the human outposts are indeed in what passes for highlands. The sapient, though primitive, lizard men seem to live anywhere there's 'land'.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #42
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
As I recall, in Space:1889 the human outposts are indeed in what passes for highlands. The sapient, though primitive, lizard men seem to live anywhere there's 'land'.
I don't know if dcarson will play a 100% canonical Space: 1889 game or not, he might want to tinker with some assumptions to better suit his sense of verisimilitude, high adventure or something else.

In any case, I was wondering in a more general sense, as in what the plausible physical effects of such a setting would be. Nevermind why Venus or some other world is like that, just, if it was, what would be the effects, in terms of reality and GURPS rules.

Luke, of course, has provided some guidelines, but I'm still unsure what the effects would be on a fire-using, metal-crafting human culture. Or if these conditions might perhaps be exactly the justification a world needs to be stuck in an eternal Stone Age society of barbarian pterosaur-riding hunters with flint spears and stone axes?
Old 02-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #43
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
What will be the effects on other wildlife?
Higher oxygen can justify larger land arthropods. Combine with lower gravity and/or magic, and the results can be downright terrifying.
(That's a chasmfiend from The Stormlight Archives. I should note the human size comparison at the bottom is likely using Kaladin Stormblessed, who is taller than an average human - probably 6' tall or so).
Old 02-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #44
Flyndaran
Untagged

Arthropleura lived in the carboniferous period due in large part to the higher oxygen levels.
Imagine a millipede relative over 7 feet long and over 1 foot wide.

Now imagine if it had been the predatory centipede relative as initially thought.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 AM   #45
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Higher oxygen can justify larger land arthropods. Combine with lower gravity and/or magic, and the results can be downright terrifying.
(That's a chasmfiend from The Stormlight Archives. I should note the human size comparison at the bottom is likely using Kaladin Stormblessed, who is taller than an average human - probably 6' tall or so).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Arthropleura lived in the carboniferous period due in large part to the higher oxygen levels.
Imagine a millipede relative over 7 feet long and over 1 foot wide.

Now imagine if it had been the predatory centipede relative as initially thought.
Right, thanks. That's nice.

What kind of flora or fauna that exist under Earth-like conditions does higher atmospheric concentration, higher atmospheric pressure and maybe slightly lower gravity discourage or exclude?

What won't pterosaurs who live under such conditions on a Venus (or Hollow Earth) be eating or competing with, that they might have coexisted with under conditions closer to the Earth that humans evolved on?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think a massive advantage birds have is their super efficient lungs. With a denser more oxygen rich environment, I don't think they'd be so awesome comparatively. They could certainly still exist, but probably nowhere near as ubiquitously as on Earth.

I think it's easier to imagine what just wouldn't benefit which is effectively being disadvantaged compared to what life would benefit.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #47
Icelander

Quote:
I think a massive advantage birds have is their super efficient lungs. With a denser more oxygen rich environment, I don't think they'd be so awesome comparatively. They could certainly still exist, but probably nowhere near as ubiquitously as on Earth.

I think it's easier to imagine what just wouldn't benefit which is effectively being disadvantaged compared to what life would benefit.
Yeah, but is there anything which is fairly common on Earth and prerosaurs might eat or compete with (or might eat pterosaurs) that would be Hollywood levels of Failing Biology Forever to put in such a fantastical Venus analogue world?

Because for my Hollow Earth world, which the PCs might someday visit in the course of a game where powerful magic can allow world-walking, I kind of want the climate to be very old-school SF Venus, with ferns, giant insects and dinosaurs, but I also want biology and physics to work normally except where a magical effect (which can be detected, analyzed and even countered using normal GURPS rules) is somehow changing the rules.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #48
Rupert

Quote:
They aren't the only creatures with that sort of lung - crocodilians do and at least some pterosaurs did also, though not quite as extreme it seems. I think some lizards, also. It seems to me that we've made some fairly serious errors in non-mammalian physiology by assuming that if it's not obviously different, it's the same (and probably also a carry-over from the time when mammals were held to be 'more advanced' than birds, reptiles, etc.).

Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #49
Flyndaran
Untagged

I knew about crocodilians, but hadn't heard of the pterosaur evidence for avian type lungs. That is interesting.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #50
Rupert

I forgot the references I found for that:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...rosaur-flight/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...d-their-lungs/

Tags
dragons, pterodactyl, pterosaur, pterosaurs, realistic fantasy