Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Apocalypse_Nerd

Default MircoQuest Adventures for the KS

This may have asked and answered already but I can’t find it. Will the TFT KS have any of the MircoQuest adventures? I thought I read or heard some info about this from Steve but I could be wrong.
Apocalypse_Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
HerkNav

Default Re: MircoQuest Adventures for the KS

Steve posted Death Test and DT2 will be KS stretch goals. He didn’t get the rights for the other ones.

http://thefantasytrip.game/news/2018...-death-test-2/
HerkNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

And, of course, Guy and I would dearly love to find someone, or someones, wth the interest and ability to create some new Micros.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
And, of course, Guy and I would dearly love to find someone, or someones, wth the interest and ability to create some new Micros.
Hi Steve, everyone.
I started to write up a programmed adventure for Legends of the Ancient World and George Dew, but I found out, that the pay was so low it was basically for free, and the love of it. I felt that anything that took that much work, I should get paid for, so I abandoned the project. (I'm not blaming George btw, his sales were so low that he was paying what he could.)

What would SJG pay for a programmed adventure? I've got one well started.

Warm regards, Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Skarg

I might get inspired to do a TFT microquest, and I have a couple of minor but I think useful tweaks for the Death Tests.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:51 AM   #6
schoon

Rick - to whom should we express interest in writing one? Yourself?
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:21 AM   #7
JLV

If you want to write a Microquest for TFT, you should express interest to Steve, not Rick.

(No offense, but Rick doesn't have anything to do with what gets published for TFT -- that's pretty much Steve Jackson's call...)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Important information:

http://www.sjgames.com/general/#write
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Those making programmed adventures might be interested in Twine, a free opensource software tool for writing interactive fiction. Each "paragraph" is an HTML page, and each choice is a link that takes you to another HTML page.

Writing an adventure is pretty simple. For each "paragraph" you enter your text and use the tool to add a link for each decision point. Twine automatically adds a new page for each choice and points the link to that page. You can also add pictures - think the room maps in Death Test. The graphical interface shows the story/adventure as a web of boxes and arrows, which you use to move between the pages. When finished you can export your adventure as a stand alone HTML file, which can run in any web browser. The browser shows the formatted text and graphics, with the available choices highlighted as links.

I expect this could be very useful for play testing and development. During creation Twine keeps track of all the links, it's easy to spot an orphaned paragraph or a broken link, and the final HTML file is about as portable as it gets. Someone who's willing to dig through the java script could probably write a function to export it as a text file with numbered paragraphs, but for fan made content that doesn't seem necessary, as the HTML file can be distributed and used as-is.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

What Phil said. We have lots of info online for writers.

Typically, we pay either a royalty between 1 and 3%, depending on how much work we have to do to make it publishable and whether your name will help sell it. For those who don't want a royalty we can do a flat fee equal to one print run's royalty.

The Twine tool sounds really, really interesting.

Contact on things like this should be copied to both me and Guy. As he works into teh Line Editor position he will take more of the load off me, but for right now we should make sure we BOTH know what is going on.

The appropriate sample size for a microquest proposal should be about 20 entries' worth, which might be spread over two encounters. Ideally, this would show that you can write good English and have a clue about the medium, and top off the trifecta with some interesting ideas.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote