Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:34 AM   #11
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items 2, no international physical rewards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yah. As a one-man shop that doesn't have to pay salaries, or even reimburse my own time watching over this, this is one of the non-trivial factors making this whole thing just HARDER.
As an example, we completed U.S. fulfillment of the Girl Genius project in May. It is now August, and we're still dealing with some of the international rewards.

Stretching out the pain of fulfillment for months isn't making sense for us at this time. Especially when those final months are the most stressful and most expensive when it comes to the fulfillment process. Yes, we charge more for international shipping, but not enough more to make it worth that added time and stress.

And we already hear complaints that shipping is too high. If we were to simply adjust the rates up to cover the true costs, the complaints would become even louder and more frequent.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I suspect that the entire Kickstarter model of business is in peril over the growing trade dispute between China and the US. Hopefully international shipping will be the worst obstacle that needs to be overcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I don't think the threat of tariffs will have a major impact on the frequency of Kickstarter campaigns. If anything happens, creators can adjust their numbers and move forward. Support may slow, once backers have to spend more, but the number of new campaigns should be effectively unaffected.

I think the most at risk campaigns are those where their margins are so thin that a 10% or 25% tariff eats what little money they may have remaining after all expenses. Or, worst of all, they have enough cash to receive the product . . . and then not enough cash to fulfill the rewards.
Apologies, but I'm am thinking of a serious trade war that includes things like embargos. What we are doing now, will either end, hopefully in our favor, or escalate to a more serious level. Things like the moves against Huwei, and the ongoing IP theft issues from China likely makes for a ramped up trade war. I can very easily be wrong, and hope that I am, but not being aware of such an outcome is short sighted.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Apologies, but I'm am thinking of a serious trade war that includes things like embargos. What we are doing now, will either end, hopefully in our favor, or escalate to a more serious level. Things like the moves against Huwei, and the ongoing IP theft issues from China likely makes for a ramped up trade war. I can very easily be wrong, and hope that I am, but not being aware of such an outcome is short sighted.
This is where the conversation ends. We're not looking for political discussion or accusations.
Closed Thread

Tags
pod, print on demand