Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-11-2021, 11:17 PM   #11
JimmyPlenty

Default Re: How to Start Soloing This? Specifically Death Test

Greetings!

The first step is simply running through 4-on-4 melee fights until things are running 75% smooth. (don't worry about perfection)

Afterwards, add a wizard and realize the joy you have a lot of fun new tactics to learn. 75% comfort should happen quickly here. Learning wizard tactics may take longer...don't stop! charge forward bravely.

Play the Red Crypt. A one character solo adventure.

After you had your fill, play Death Test and prepare for happy frustration!

Also, write nagging questions down while playing. If you cannot figure it out afterward, bring them here for some answers.

Again welcome!
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #12
Lothar_t

I'm a lapsed grognard who's finally getting back into old school gaming and recently discovered the resurrected TFT titles (which made me ecstatically happy) and this thread has been very helpful!

I've purchased and absorbed the new reprints of Melee and Wizard and the new ITL and wondered if I should dive into the DT 1 and 2 reprints, use a GM emulator to create some encounters near Bendwyn before heading down to Ardonirane and the Death Tests.

Now I'm leaning towards some random encounters near Bendwyn, Red Crypt and then I'm sure I'll die miserably in the DTs (which is as it probably should be). ;-)
Lothar_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:35 PM   #13
Shostak

Gaming Ballistic has some fine solo adventures, with a new one in Kickstarter right now, all of which would be worth considering.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:14 AM   #14
Lothar_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Gaming Ballistic has some fine solo adventures, with a new one in Kickstarter right now, all of which would be worth considering.
Yup. I backed it last week when I was frantically collecting all the TFT stuff to be had. ;-).
Old 06-15-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
Turgul

Tower of the Moon and Citadel of Ice are interesting, but not solo. Vampire Hunter Belladonna is solo and is a hoot.
Turgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #16
Shostak

Also consider the GURPS: Conan solo adventures, which are pretty easily converted to TFT, as I discussed on my blog a while back. They are available in your choice of print or PDF.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #17
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Also consider the GURPS: Conan solo adventures, which are pretty easily converted to TFT, as I discussed on my blog a while back. They are available in your choice of print or PDF.
Converting GURPS adventures to TFT is probably easier than converting D&D adventures. However, I've forgotten what little I know about GURPS. I do remember that GURPS had more detailed rules or granularity with respect to combat resolution.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:17 PM   #18
Lothar_t

Quote:
That's a great idea! I still have those in my storage shed.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:50 AM   #19
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
Converting GURPS adventures to TFT is probably easier than converting D&D adventures. However, I've forgotten what little I know about GURPS. I do remember that GURPS had more detailed rules or granularity with respect to combat resolution.
Luckily, none of that combat granularity matters. Convert the NPC and monster stats from GURPS to TFT and off you go!
Old 06-16-2022, 06:28 AM   #20
Rolando

You can use GURPS monsters and NPC's straight from the book, ignore HT (use ST for hit points and everything related), use TFT weapon damage instead of GURPS ST calculated damage, and DX instead of Skill.

The difficulty will not be the same and you will need experienced characters because those adventures are meant for Conan but everything is quite usable with no "conversion", just use the stats you know and ignore those you don't if they are not explained in the adventure.

The mass combat rules and other special cases you may use them straight from the book, as those are explained there or self explanatory, just remember that in GURPS all success rolls use 3d6..
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote