Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-17-2021, 10:19 PM   #31
tbone

Default Re: A 10-pack of DFRPG questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I know this is some thread necromancy...
As the ancient tomes say, "That is not dead which unanswered lies"! Replies to questions, no matter how old, are always welcome.

So as long as we're talking about paut again, a side comment:

I somewhere got the idea that "paut" was a term floating around fantasy RPGs in general, not just GURPS. A quick Google, though, suggests it's pretty GURPS-specific. (Which I guess isn't too surprising, at least for the specific meaning of "potion that restores energy loss from spellcasting"; the potion would have no use in the many RPGs that don't charge energy for spellcasting.)

All of which spurs an all-new question: Does GURPS/DFRPG have a potion that restores Fatigue from mundane losses? As in, a paut-like potion that restores 4 FP (or maybe 1d FP) lost to physical exertion and the like? It'd be a fairly low-value potion, as resting an hour or less (far less for some PCs) would have the same effect. Still, there are a occasions when a power-depleted PC can use some instant pep.

I don't see anything of the sort in DFRPG's magic items lists. Anyone know of an offering elsewhere in the system?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:49 AM   #32
coronatiger

If I recall correctly, the healing potion in GURPS: Magic heals FP if there's anything left after healing all your HP.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:55 AM   #33
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
If I recall correctly, the healing potion in GURPS: Magic heals FP if there's anything left after healing all your HP.
It does.

An universal charged scroll of Lend Energy should work in DFRPG, but not exactly cheap at $100/energy point.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:45 AM   #34
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
All of which spurs an all-new question: Does GURPS/DFRPG have a potion that restores Fatigue from mundane losses? As in, a paut-like potion that restores 4 FP (or maybe 1d FP) lost to physical exertion and the like?
Well, you can always use paut plus a caster with Lend Energy as a step-down transformer...

(Kicking the fourth wall with careful point-accounting is becoming a bad habit. My current 250-point necromancer character has a 125-point cleric Ally to supply the party's healing, and every scene seems to end with the necromancer casting Lend Energy to restore the cleric's FP, because the necromancer has Recover Energy and the cleric doesn't...)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #35
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
As the ancient tomes say, "That is not dead which unanswered lies"!

All of which spurs an all-new question: Does GURPS/DFRPG have a potion that restores Fatigue from mundane losses?
Coffee. Black coffee. 😴
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #36
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Well, you can always use paut plus a caster with Lend Energy as a step-down transformer...
Well said.

And yet, delvers often want their potions precisely for those times when there's no spellcaster around. (Or in this case, no coffee either.) So let me see what an alchemist/herbalist might whip up.

Let's say it's a stimulant energy drink that restores 1d short-term* FP. (Call it "Red Galdurnaut" or something.) By comparison, paut restores about the same amount of FP for $135, and a minor healing potion restores 1d HP for $120.

*That's short-term as in not FP lost to hunger, lack of sleep, etc.

Paut seems expensive to me, compared to that healing potion, as FP come back far faster than HP. But that's the cost.

If Red Galdurnaut restores only short-term FP lost to causes other than spellcasting (physical fatigue, etc.), I suppose the cost could be made similar to that of paut, but I'd prefer to make it cheaper than the healing potion. So... $100? $50? Let's say $50.

But if Red Galdurnaut restores any short-term FP, whether lost to spellcasting or other causes, then it's better than paut and should cost more. Say, the cost of paut, plus the $50 cost of the above potion? No, because it's not as good as buying one each of those two potions (which would restore 4 FP from spellcasting and 1d FP from other fatigue). So, the cost of paut plus half the above $50?

That gets us a fairly neat $160 for a potion that restores 1d of short-term FP lost for any reason. It still seems expensive to me relative to HP healing potions, but it's in line with the precedence set by paut. (And as pointed out, delvers also have the option of using cheaper healing potions to restore FP, once HP are all topped up.)

A quick, off-the-top-of-the-head creation. Sound reasonable at all?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 06-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #37
Balor Patch

See also Orcish Energy Brew from DF8 p36.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:48 AM   #38
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
See also Orcish Energy Brew from DF8 p36.
Great find! Hm, that writeup suggests that my FP-restoring potion is too cheap. If $45 Orcish Brew restores only half of 1d (non-mystical fatigue only), and with a couple of serious side effects to boot, then my 1d restorative potion (non-mystical fatigue only) should be at least twice as expensive: $100 or more.

For simplicity, we could say it has the same cost as paut: $135.

Then, to create a handier potion that restores 1d FP (or 4 FP, if we prefer paut's static amount) lost for any short-term cause (mystical or non-mystical), we could take that $135 cost, plus, say, an extra one-third, to get a fairly neat $180.

Now, that's more expensive than a $120 1d potion of minor healing. I initially balked at that idea (because FP return fast all on their own). But consider this: The game essentially decrees that FP are worth 50% more than HP (3 pts vs 2 pts per +1). And that $180 cost above is... 50% more than the cost of a minor healing potion. Makes sense!(?)

So. Let's say we have this:

$45 for Orcish Energy Brew (stolen from DF, flaws and all)
$135 for paut: restores 4 FP, mystical only
$135 for an energy drink that restores 1d FP, non-mystical only
$180 for an energy drink that restores 1d FP, mystical or non-mystical

Pricey stuff, but I like it. Sound good to anyone else?

Old 06-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #39
Balor Patch

Someone in the party probably knows Lend Energy (or has it as a $2k item) so Paut can easily be turned into physical FP, while the reverse isn't true.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #40
KataH

From the original question of:
Quote:
10) Light range: For an Area spell, a radius of 1 means one hex; a radius of 2 means that hex, plus the surrounding six hexes; and so on.
But my understanding is that distance for light sources works differently: a torch's distance of 2 doesn't mean the holder's hex and the hexes around it, but rather the holder's hex and up to 2 more hexes out (i.e., what would be radius 3 in spell terms). Do I have that right?
Kromm’s resp[once was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yes. Use "distance from the source" for point sources like candles, Light spells, lanterns, and torches; these are not meant to be true areas of effect, but semicircles in front of the bearer out to the listed range. For area sources, use the rules for Area spells..
Kromm also previously stated in a post on 4-12-2009:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The way it works:
A light usually eliminates darkness penalties to combat and vision, for everyone, in a semicircle in front of the bearer. Spells like Glow and Sunlight eliminate penalties over their entire area of effect. Vision and combat are possible at -3 out to triple these ranges.
Thus, a torch converts any darkness to no penalty out to 2 yards, converts penalties worse than -3 to -3 out to 6 yards, and gives no benefit beyond that.
Does that 6 yards start from the edge of the regular light of 2 yards and extend out 6 more yards?

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"

Last edited by KataH; 12-10-2021 at 10:01 PM.
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote