Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
FossilMan

Default Curse to lose my armor with the biggest bonus

New to the forums here but have been looking for a while now.

We were playing Munchkin Booty the other day and I kicked down the door and got the curse to make me lose the armor I was wearing that gave me the biggest bonus. I wasn't wearing any armor at the time but I did have have the fearsome tatoos turned sideways (before I pulled the curse). Another player said that I have to discard that armor because it gives me a +0 and therefore gives me the biggest bonus. I discarded them because I had no reason not to believe him but I would like an official answer.

Did I have to discard the armor that I wasn't wearing because it told me to lose the armor that gives me the biggest bonus?
FossilMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
six's monkey

Default Re: Curse to lose my armor with the biggest bonus

I choose to wonder why you were carrying the tattoos but not wearing them.
If, however, you weren't wearing them, you weren't wearing armor and so there's no armor being worn for you to discard, IMHO.
The exact wording of the specific curse matters, of course, as one might call for the loss of all armor in play (that is, not in your hand, but face-up on the table) and another might remove "the armor that gives the biggest bonus".
I, personally, would rule that a +0 bonus is no bonus and cannot be 'biggest', unless perhaps you -also- had in play an armor with "Cursed Thingie" or "Anti-matter" or somesuch attached, which caused that armor to have a negative 'bonus'.
All of this is in no way official. I'm terrible at holding my tongue, is all. :-)
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
FossilMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by six's monkey View Post
I choose to wonder why you were carrying the tattoos but not wearing them.
If, however, you weren't wearing them, you weren't wearing armor and so there's no armor being worn for you to discard, IMHO.
The exact wording of the specific curse matters, of course, as one might call for the loss of all armor in play (that is, not in your hand, but face-up on the table) and another might remove "the armor that gives the biggest bonus".
I, personally, would rule that a +0 bonus is no bonus and cannot be 'biggest', unless perhaps you -also- had in play an armor with "Cursed Thingie" or "Anti-matter" or somesuch attached, which caused that armor to have a negative 'bonus'.
All of this is in no way official. I'm terrible at holding my tongue, is all. :-)
That was my original thought as well but we have been in pretty big arguments over cards in the past so I didn't want to make it a big deal. I don't remember why I wasn't wearing the armor but I think it was a mistake on my end that I thought was going to help me and ended up not.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Of the 27 Curse cards in Munchkin Booty and Jump The Shark, there are only two Curses that come close to what you describe: Curse! Scuppered!, which says to lose the Item (not Armor, specifically) that gives you the biggest bonus, and Curse! Keelhauled!, which tells you to "Lose Yer Armor."

In the case of Curse! Scuppered!, you would have to be using the Item in question for it to give you a bonus, and since you were not using Fearsome Tattoos, you wouldn't have to discard the card for that Curse. For Curse! Keelhauled!, since it says to lose your Armor, you must discard all your Armor Items in play, whether you were using them or not, so you would have to discard Fearsome Tattoos.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
FossilMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Of the 27 Curse cards in Munchkin Booty and Jump The Shark, there are only two Curses that come close to what you describe: Curse! Scuppered!, which says to lose the Item (not Armor, specifically) that gives you the biggest bonus, and Curse! Keelhauled!, which tells you to "Lose Yer Armor."

In the case of Curse! Scuppered!, you would have to be using the Item in question for it to give you a bonus, and since you were not using Fearsome Tattoos, you wouldn't have to discard the card for that Curse. For Curse! Keelhauled!, since it says to lose your Armor, you must discard all your Armor Items in play, whether you were using them or not, so you would have to discard Fearsome Tattoos.
Thank you for getting back to me MunchkinMan as it turns out the curse was Man Overboard! I assume then that I would have to get rid of it because it makes me lose one of three things that give me the biggest bonus and if I don't have footgear or headgear that I would have to discard something. I am sorry for not doing all of my research before posting my question. I will work on being very specific with my questions in the future.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

What's weird is my search of the database didn't pick up Curse! Man Overboard!, and I created quite the detailed query that should have. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curse