Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #11
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Attacking a prone figure - adjDX for both time of attack and to hit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I think this is a fairly reasonable realism argument, and as kjamma4 wrote, there is an interesting/fun aspect to having more sequence effects of adjDX modifiers.

Usually I choose in favor of realism and interesting/fun things, and am happy to do more work to get those things.

However in this case there really is a big impact on potential play complexity, which increases very steeply with the number of figures (especially with ranged attacks, aimed shots, etc) in a combat (and I like running large combats). If everyone acts on their base adjDX, it's very clear what order everyone goes in: at their base adjDX. But if adjDX affects turn sequence, then the number of points at which each figure might act can be multiplied to the point even I can't always keep track of it, even using the house rules I mentioned above.

What I do to mitigate it though is as the GM, go through in order of base adjDX asking who wants to do something. It is then the responsibility of the players to intervene if they can actually go sooner due to some DX bonus. Figures act if they have the highest adjDX of the figures who have announced they want to act at that point. If we get down to adjDX 11 and someone realizes they could have acted at adjDX 14 if they stabbed someone on the ground, they can act before the other adjDX 11's, but not before people whose actions we've already resolved.
Skarg is right. It is fun to go before someone else because you got that side-attack or some other special thing. But it does make it more complex with multiple combatants. The best way to go is to either set it up and only count permanent bonuses, the adjDX you write down on the card, like armor, disadvantages, magic and fine items and wounds lower than 4 health, and special attack moves like two weapon fighting that will be used again and again.

Or you count it all, according to RAW, and only make an exception for aiming that could change radically from the point of your attack declaration to your turn to act. As well as withing your turn to attack; if you have to roll to miss, which probably is the game rule reason to except range penalties. Otherwise, at which adjDX would you act if you have to roll to miss someone, close by without range penalties, then roll to hit with some penalties, and if you miss some other character even further away could be the target. A huge difference if you are throwing your weapon. Another reason could be the double shot or faster reloads with a crossbow. IF you separated the two attacks based on range, you might have two bowshots if you aim at one guy, but not if you aim at that guy and another one. So I get that ranged weapons are an exception.

And again, Skargs way of handling it, where he just declare the next guy in initiative order, and if anyone can break in before due to bonuses or penalties they go first. And if someone misses their adjDX turn, they can go at a later time but no retroactive changes. It takes time to have a proper adjDX countdown otherwise. And with many enemies, a GM can get bogged down.

And realistically speaking an attack isn't one swing, it is how fast you can bring an attack to bear, often one or more quick combos or a well-timed riposte to the enemy's initial combo to try to open your defense up. So adjDX isn't as much speed as it is skill. Otherwise, movement would be based on DX (like in GURPS) and initiative would be based on DX. But yes, high skill means you aim faster, opens up an enemy's defenses for a real strike faster, etc. And if someone is lying down, their defenses are already compromised so you can go for the real attack immediately and hence score a hit faster.

And we also have the all-around perception issues, you have to spend time looking around you, weigh your tactical options, look for good foot placement, maybe duck thrown weapons, etc. And all those factors also slows you down in a grand melee, compared to a one on one duel. And that is also related to skill and experience, more than pure speed. So I have no problem with people realistically attacking in order of skill. Highest skilled person gets the chance to finish the fight first, and then his less experienced opponents get their chance.

But as always, the rule of fun rules!
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote