Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
Superfaab

Default One sided, boring, gameplay; Are we doing this right?

Hey All,

My wife and I recently bought Munching CCG to have fun with. We watched an intro video, read the quickstart guide and had the full rules on standby for playing our first games. The first one was very rough, trying to get a hold of the gameplay.

On our second game was what can only be described as extremely boring. The situation was as follows.

Me, playing Ranger. My wife Playing Warrior. Both standard decks from starter pack, not exchanged any cards from booster pack.

During play we went through the normal steps, playing cards that we could as the phases allowed.

The shuffling of the deck however resulted in both of our hands full of Monsters, and no weapons of allies up until level 5.
What this resulted in is that I could play a monster, lay down the required coins to pass the cheating check. My wife, having no allies or defence in play chose to run away. Fine the first time around.
The monster goes to the stash, and the coins I placed next to it back to my purse.

Then I get to continue my munchkiningphase, and I place another monster down. My wife still has no defense (or useable interrupts), so runs away again.

Repeat for the rest of the monsters in my hand (about 6), so 10 hero damage each turn (depending on the monster level and coins).
And when her turn comes, she could do the same to me.
Then when my turn comes, I collect the monsters from the stash and repeat.

Needless to say, this was a rather boring game and made me question a few things.
- Are we playing it right? Should the money on a monster be returned to my purse?

- Is there a limit to how many times you can attack? (doesn't seem that way from the rules).

It seems an extremely one sided aspect of the game that you basically have no defense to without the right RNG luck on card draws. I realize that RNG luck is what makes the games varied from one another, but this seems to me to be too one sided to remain 'fun'.
Superfaab is offline   Reply With Quote