Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 AM   #41
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Fear and Loathing In TFT

I really like the direction this topic of Bravery/Fear and the reaction to same is headed. Having players encounter a GM's latest grotesque other-world beastie, with a simple and flat character-response of: "We move half our MA an attack", was something I always found to work against the story, rather than with it.

So, I am really pleased to learn of other people having interest and ideas in this lesser, but to me, highly significant area of play. I want to see where this is going, as things look like they might shape up rather nicely.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #42
CardDiceian

Default Re: Fear and Loathing In TFT

I started writing out a game scenario for ITL a while back and used the personality traits on P7 - Expanded considerably to build all the characters the players would meet. I wanted it to be far more than just -see a creature - attack and kill. I wanted the players to have to interact. So loathing did come into play. (Of course I cant find any of my original notes at the moment).

I wanted more than just a great combat game, but a more rounded RPG where the players had to really think about how they approached each encounter to progress the story. That is, if they attacked from the start. They would probably beat the villagers, but wouldn't discover the real story.

Even things like cleanliness came into play as one of the orcs met worked in an underground sewer, but characters with high personal hygene would struggle to stay in close contact with him without retching - a character with poor hygene though would have less of a problem. They would also run into characters with prejudices and varying levels of friendliness. It was all comign together quite well - (So I hope I can find it again) :(
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #43
Rick_Smith

Default Using personality on page 7 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDiceian View Post
I started writing out a game scenario for ITL...

They would also run into characters with prejudices and varying levels of friendliness. It was all comign together quite well - (So I hope I can find it again) :(
Hi CardDiceian, everyone.
Card, that sounds like a cool article for Pyramid.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 AM   #44
CardDiceian

Default Re: Using personality on page 7 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi CardDiceian, everyone.
Card, that sounds like a cool article for Pyramid.

Warm regards, Rick.

Thanks Rick.

I found most of my notes this morning - most importantly the character generation charts I was working on. I had 20 NPC Orcs to inhabit the village, plus 25 additional characters that could be developed by players from various races. The players would of course choose how to distribute the normal attributes (ST DX IQ) - but would have to work with a personality and attractiveness assigned.

I'd be happy to do it as an article at some point - (Although I'm working heavily on other writing projects at the moment, so it might not be ready very quickly.)
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote