Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Sam Cade

Default Re: Help Modern Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
So did you become a member of the century club, or was this at a track day?
Monitored open road and co-operation of the local yokel deputies actually. Nice cold day and a bit of a tailwind.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
Kalzazz

Should our intrepid heroes want to go faster than 155 (they are PCs after all) is it possible to remove the limiters? How would they do so?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How would they do so?
Reprogram the ECU.

كافر
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Should our intrepid heroes want to go faster than 155 (they are PCs after all) is it possible to remove the limiters? How would they do so?
Every time I hear that kind of stuff, it makes me feel like Americans live in the Robocop 2*/I, Robot film. ;)

I mean, sure, there are fancy cars with an automated clutch and fuel injectors and onboard GPS and other late/mature TL8 stuff, but it's not like that's the only type of car in existence - between cheaper/older models and buying used cars, PCs should get their chance, IMHO.

* == specifically the one where Murphy gets hundreds of new Directives.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I mean, sure, there are fancy cars with an automated clutch and fuel injectors and onboard GPS and other late/mature TL8 stuff, but it's not like that's the only type of car in existence - between cheaper/older models and buying used cars, PCs should get their chance, IMHO.
It has been a quarter of a century since the last non-fuel injected car was built in the US and manual transmissions are pretty rare outside of heavy work trucks.
Even most sports cars are automatics.

كافر
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
It has been a quarter of a century since the last non-fuel injected car was built in the US and manual transmissions are pretty rare outside of heavy work trucks.
Yeah, I think it's fair to say that a car using a carburetor and a manual transmission is TL 7.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, I think it's fair to say that a car using a carburetor and a manual transmission is TL 7.
Which is a shame, because I hate driving automatics. OTOH I haven't driven anything in about 8 years, and don't expect to start, so it's not much of an issue for me.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Anaraxes

A lot of newer automatic transmissions aren't like your Dad's automatic transmission. They're electronically controlled manual transmissions. The control computer is a lot smarter about driving style and shift points than a bunch of transmission fluid sloshing around a few shift valves could be. And you can manually control them by ordering the computer around at will, often with wheel-mounted paddles, like those F1 guys, though there are stick controls as well. But you do still lose the clutch pedal, which is part of the fun.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Fuel injection seems to have become a TL8 standard, but the automatic transmission fetish is still specifically American. I ordered a new car with a manual box just yesterday, in fact. Auto seems to have become more popular this side of the pond since it stopped turning cars into total wallowing gas-guzzlers, but it's still far from universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
A lot of newer automatic transmissions aren't like your Dad's automatic transmission. They're electronically controlled manual transmissions. The control computer is a lot smarter about driving style and shift points than a bunch of transmission fluid sloshing around a few shift valves could be. And you can manually control them by ordering the computer around at will, often with wheel-mounted paddles, like those F1 guys, though there are stick controls as well. But you do still lose the clutch pedal, which is part of the fun.
Yeah, you've just described this household's other car. And once you've got electronics handling that stuff for you, it can even be made reconfigurable on the fly. ("Why is this car suddenly sounding all aggressive? Oops, accidentally put it into Sport.") Leaving one to wonder what else will be configurable by the end of TL8. Actually, the thing we've ordered will handle some hill starts and turning the engine off in queues for itself...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
smurf
Banned

Big Exec cars tend to have more Auto sales. Most of Europe believes that automatic=gokarts and prefer a manual.

There is a slight lack of performance for the auto compared to the manual.

Generally speaking (european)

Most cars will do 100mph and accerlate to 60mph in 10 seconds.

Some can do 120mph and 8sec accerlation

High spec wll do the 155 and 6sec

Very high performance wll do 200+ and have less than 6sec.

Also fuel economy goes southwards as speed increases.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, contemporary, modern, statistics, vehicle