Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #71
David Johnston2

Default Re: Rapid Healing and Regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Uh, that's not the problem.

The problem is Very Rapid Healing, which is not part of Regeneration, and costs more than Slow Regeneration, and yet has less benefit as written.
The solution to the problem is to not get Very Rapid Healing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #72
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
So what you're saying is that a normal person couldn't get flight because it's not normally available because it isn't mundane? Perhaps we could say a normal person who could fly might have an unusual background that allows him to have access to something not normally available?
I'm saying a normal person can't get Flight in a game I'm GM'ing set in the real world, because people can't fly in the real world, Unusual Background or no.

Quote:
Because the tags in the book are gospel truth?
No because what the GM says, in this case me, is the gospel truth.

Quote:
Even though Slow Regeneration is mechanically identical to Very Rapid Healing, you wouldn't allow it because it has a little alien sitting beside it. If they deleted Very Rapid Healing, would you assume they were saying people couldn't heal that quickly?
As I pointed out in my post above, they aren't mechanically identical. The person with Very Rapid Healing gets 2hp if, and only if, they rest the entire day, have good food, and make their HT roll. The person with Slow Regeneration will gain 2hp per day with no roll needed, no matter what they are doing--including disco dancing while high on cocaine for the full 24 hours. Further the Slow Regeneration person, if they rest, also can get another 1hp from Natural Recovery.

They are not mechanically the same. And one (Slow Regeneration) I'm not going to let normal humans have. As the GM, it is not only is it my right to decide which rules and options and ads/disads/skills, etc are in the game, but my responsibility.

Quote:
Just because a trait is marked as cinematic or exotic doesn't mean that the players shouldn't have access to it.
Player have access to what the GM says they can have access to. If the GM says no cinematic or exotic...then the players can't have access to it. The players don't get to decide what they can have access to or what rules are in play, the GM does.

If you can't handle the fact that the GM sets the rules of the game, then you are not the kind of player I want in my games.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #73
Langy

You're still ignoring the case that's actually problematic - when both regeneration (slow) and VRH are available.

Do you or do you not believe that an advantage that costs more should always provide more benefit than an advantage that costs less? In other words, if an advantage does everything that another advantage does, but does it better, should it cost more, the same, or less than the other advantage?
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #74
Vaevictis Asmadi

Instead of this neverending argument about whether it's overpriced or not, does anyone have any ideas about how to make VRH more useful than Slow Regen and actually worth 15 pts?

Kromm's idea is +10 to avoid crippling and +5 to avoid bleeding. These are good ideas and Kromm ideas, but not everyone who dislikes the RAW VRH seems satisfied with them. +10 to get over crippling injuries doesn't seem much better than +5.

Does anybody have any other ideas for making it worth 15 points?

I think that +10 resistance to bleeding and automatic doubling of every 1 HP regained (from normal healing, Regeneration, first aid, healing spells or any other source) are a start and do provide something that Slow Regeneration doesn't, but not enough.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #75
Langy

Actually, I think doubling HP gained no matter what the source would work great.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #76
Vaevictis Asmadi

Would that really make it worth the points and better than Slow Regen, though?

I'm not familiar enough with how many options for healing there are, and of course this is something that will vary a lot between campaigns, so it needs to be worth it in most campaigns.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #77
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Would that really make it worth the points and better than Slow Regen, though?

I'm not familiar enough with how many options for healing there are, and of course this is something that will vary a lot between campaigns, so it needs to be worth it in most campaigns.
Natural healing with or without medical aid (which can raise the amount healed a bunch)
Ultratech drugs.
Healing spells.
People using the Healing advantage on you.

and it would double the effect of Regeneration
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #78
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Thanks. You inspired me.

I'd like to tweak it a little so that it scales and add another option. How about:

x1...20, 40, 60, 100, 150

x2...30, 50, 70, 120, 175

x5...35, 55, 75, 130, 190
Keeping in mind that +10 HP automatically adds 1 to the healing multiple for 20 points (less if it doesn't give you the other benefits of extra HP), the costs for Regeneration (Very Fast and Instant) X2 may be a little overpriced. It will always be more effective to buy 10 extra hit points.

I'm stuck returning to my original opinion that VRH should be replaced with a canonical value for a Only for calculating healing rates limitation on Extra Hit Points to replace the doubling mechanic. -50% is tempting because it leaves double healing at 10 points. -75% seems more reasonable considering how many other benefits Hit Points have.

I agree that the cost of regeneration should be increased either way so that Slow Regeneration is alway more expensive than the inferior Rapid Healing at 2X speed option.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #79
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Keeping in mind that +10 HP automatically adds 1 to the healing multiple for 20 points (less if it doesn't give you the other benefits of extra HP), the costs for Regeneration (Very Fast and Instant) X2 may be a little overpriced. It will always be more effective to buy 10 extra hit points.
Good point.

How about:
x1...20, 40, 60, 100, 150

x2...30, 50, 70, 110, 160

x5...35, 55, 80, 120, 175
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #80
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I'm saying a normal person can't get Flight in a game I'm GM'ing set in the real world, because people can't fly in the real world, Unusual Background or no.

No because what the GM says, in this case me, is the gospel truth.
You're also free to say yes. I fail to see how this is an argument against the Slow Regen + 5 model.

Quote:
As I pointed out in my post above, they aren't mechanically identical. The person with Very Rapid Healing gets 2hp if, and only if, they rest the entire day, have good food, and make their HT roll. The person with Slow Regeneration will gain 2hp per day with no roll needed, no matter what they are doing--including disco dancing while high on cocaine for the full 24 hours. Further the Slow Regeneration person, if they rest, also can get another 1hp from Natural Recovery.
Slow Regen + Limitation + 5 points (or more, to compensate for the limitation, which only highlights how strangely priced VRH is)

Quote:
If you can't handle the fact that the GM sets the rules of the game, then you are not the kind of player I want in my games.
You're getting awfully upset over a strawman.

Tags
house rules, rapid healing, regeneration