Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Spraying Mace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Are the rules for pepper spray overly simplified? Getting dirt thrown into your eyes can cause issues in RAW, can't it? Pepper Spray is debilitating; deodorant (or hair spray or whatever else) is a comparatively mild irritant. Even if you close your eyes "in time", doesn't mace still cause pain?
It causes pain until you've washed all of it off. And there's a reason police are trained to NOT hit the eyes...
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
And you believe that to be the generic, universal result? I wonder if you didn't just make the appropriate checks so you could continue on with minimal impairment.
Compared to CS gas or OC spray I was barely effected, I could still generally see and the irritation was barely noticeable until the adrenaline wore off. Fighting (well sparring anyway) with OC spray was a lot harder!

Quote:
Are the rules for pepper spray overly simplified? Getting dirt thrown into your eyes can cause issues in RAW, can't it? Pepper Spray is debilitating; deodorant (or hair spray or whatever else) is a comparatively mild irritant. Even if you close your eyes "in time", doesn't mace still cause pain?
Throwing dirt in someone's eyes is the example of a dirty trick in the rules, which is why I am suggesting that this is a similar situation.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The rules for attacking have been pointed out (High-Tech, p. 180). The rules for effects are negotiable . . . I'd use those for proper self-defense spray, starting the roll at HT-2 and flipping modifiers for equipment quality (p. B345) to turn them into modifiers to the target's HT rolls. Thus, the TL8 spray would get its HT-4 from the +2 for being fine (becomes -2), while random spray off the bathroom shelf would give full HT from the -2 for being improvised (becomes +2).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
LemmingLord

Mace and tasers are both written up in GURPS with unrealistic pro-resistance effects. Both are completely effective regardless of your fitness level, but gurps loves to give resistance rolls whether its realistic or genre appropriate.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
Mace and tasers are both written up in GURPS with unrealistic pro-resistance effects. Both are completely effective regardless of your fitness level, but gurps loves to give resistance rolls whether its realistic or genre appropriate.
Really. No one ever fails to be incapacitated by mace or by taser?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
You can definitely fight with pepper spray exposure. I have seen it, and more-or-less did it. I've also done calisthenics and push-ups after CS exposure.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Clearly, you've never met Bubba*. That said, I've been shot full on with a taser and it does squat**. Maybe I have too many layers of fat or whatever, but it don't hurt. Never did. Still don't. Now mace? Mace puts me down hard - I'm allergic to it. My skin breaks out and if it's a high enough dose I blister. It's a ugly ugly thing to see.

* Everyone meets "Bubba" eventually, he's that guy that's taller than you by a foot, meaner then you are by half, and weighs at least x1.5 to x2 times what you do. In my case, "Bubba" was a 450 lb. 7'6" Somaon who really wanted a bag of cheetos from an area that I was guarding and wasn't open to the public at the time. Not only did he ignore being tased, but he proceeded to lick the pepper spray I shot in his face while beating the living hell out of me. When I woke up next it was in a hospital and my boss informed me that they'd caught the guy and asked if I wanted to press charges. I asked to speak to him and apparently I'd been the last straw in a series of straws. I didn't press charges and "Bubba" got himself together, paid my medical bills, and left me a bag of cheetos in thanks. He's working up in Alaska somewheres (I haven't heard from him in years).
** One of the requirements in my state for using a TASER is having one used on you - or at least it was when I got my P.I./Armed Security license.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Clearly, you've never met Bubba*. That said, I've been shot full on with a taser and it does squat**. Maybe I have too many layers of fat or whatever, but it don't hurt. Never did. Still don't. Now mace? Mace puts me down hard - I'm allergic to it. My skin breaks out and if it's a high enough dose I blister. It's a ugly ugly thing to see.

* Everyone meets "Bubba" eventually, he's that guy that's taller than you by a foot, meaner then you are by half, and weighs at least x1.5 to x2 times what you do. In my case, "Bubba" was a 450 lb. 7'6" Somaon who really wanted a bag of cheetos from an area that I was guarding and wasn't open to the public at the time. Not only did he ignore being tased, but he proceeded to lick the pepper spray I shot in his face while beating the living hell out of me. When I woke up next it was in a hospital and my boss informed me that they'd caught the guy and asked if I wanted to press charges. I asked to speak to him and apparently I'd been the last straw in a series of straws. I didn't press charges and "Bubba" got himself together, paid my medical bills, and left me a bag of cheetos in thanks. He's working up in Alaska somewheres (I haven't heard from him in years).
** One of the requirements in my state for using a TASER is having one used on you - or at least it was when I got my P.I./Armed Security license.
We should team up, tasers take me down fast, but irritating my mucus membranes basically makes me mad. We'd be unstoppable (offer not valid for lethal weapons, microwave area denial, fire-hoses or beanbag rounds)!
Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
We should team up, tasers take me down fast, but irritating my mucus membranes basically makes me mad. We'd be unstoppable (offer not valid for lethal weapons, microwave area denial, fire-hoses or beanbag rounds)!
CC Investigations! No job is too small, no fee is too big! (I'm actually good with fire-houses and beanbag rounds. They hurt, but all they do is irk me off or get me wet. Again, in VA, for non-lethal means you need to experience them to considered to be proficient in them. My training guy was like "We need you on our SWAT team...oohhhh you asthma. Damn!" Teargas exposure sucked, but I got through it mostly intact).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
CC Investigations! No job is too small, no fee is too big! (I'm actually good with fire-houses and beanbag rounds. They hurt, but all they do is irk me off or get me wet. Again, in VA, for non-lethal means you need to experience them to considered to be proficient in them. My training guy was like "We need you on our SWAT team...oohhhh you asthma. Damn!" Teargas exposure sucked, but I got through it mostly intact).
I've never been shot with beanbags or fire-hoses. I have fillings so MAD will probably drop me too, but I've never been in one of those tests (though I did volunteer for what was probably one, but they didn't end up needing me).

Tags
mace, modern, tear gas