Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #241
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: God Slayers [IC]

Myers:"I live my life stressed so others don't have to. It gives me a kind of fierce pride inside. Be sure to get me that number."

The next few days are eventful but restful. Ward's negotiations soon reach the ironic point where the humans are fine withdrawing if the elves police their own people in the ways the humans would like them to. which can be supposed is progress. Ward may have to report to the vale that elven society as a whole may need to tread more carefully around humans. Or he may be able to convince the humans to leave things alone.

Anna (the dragon) embeds herself at the UN. She makes less freinds but more allies than ward, perhaps because she isn't mixed up in negotiations over a war.

Bigg manages to drop into the background. He was invisible for the whole thing, and the public is always on alert for him anyways.

About 10 days later, Baba Yaga gets a phone call from Mr. Myers. "We have a situation. I think one of our teams brought back some sort of curse. We've already sent a few teams in to inspect it, but they disappeared as well. We would appreciate it if you would look into this. They are on Magas (post 1). I hope you can hep us."

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #242
Poonbahbah

Continuing the conversation Baba says, "Can you tell me a bit more than that? How many people were in the first group? What were they supposed to have been doing where? Brought it back to where; the outpost on Magus? What are their signs and symptoms? Anything else you may of neglected to mention?"

Baba Calls up Biggs and asks, "Some people need some help. I've been told it looks like they've been cursed.

After she has Biggs answer she checks with anyone else she might think would like to join in on the investigation, like Ward and Anna.

OOC
Right sorry for taking so long.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #243
LemmingLord

Bigg growls a sigh after hearing that humans from this world may be exploring other worlds. He is glad Baba Yaga knows him well enough to tell he isn't upset at her but the possibility that the ancestors of the diseased maniacs who plague-masacred everyone he ever loved some 500 years ago are, themselves, exploring exotic lands and causing who knows what damage. Only this time, perhaps, the explorers suffer instead.

Maybe it is funny and quite appropriate that they should be cursed!!

"Why earth visit Magus? How long hose this been growing on? How did his go to Magus?"

Bigg eats a tree frog alive, fuming and pacing along some strong tree top foliage.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #244
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
Continuing the conversation Baba says, "Can you tell me a bit more than that? How many people were in the first group? What were they supposed to have been doing where? Brought it back to where; the outpost on Magus? What are their signs and symptoms? Anything else you may of neglected to mention?"
Myers: Lets see -- the first group was a mineral prospecting team, so there were about 30 of them, mostly male. They were two jumps out on a world we call lunar: it has no sun, but four moons of various sizes and plenty of vegatation. As far as we knew, the local magic was merely one of healing and potion-driven transformation. One of the jumping companies was looking at the local minerals.

The team thought they had gotten rid of the curse -- one of their men turned into several monsters in quick succession. One of them looked like a were-wolf, but others included something like an ogre, a feathered warrior, and a blood red humanoid. They were fairly sure they don't have a comprehensive list of the transformations. They thought the creature had merely replaced one of them. They were put in quarantine when they got back to magus. they were asked questions only they would know. Not prearranged ones, but family and friends were asked to provide questions. All of them came out clean. Until 2 days later. At least one of the people not on the team has transformed. At our last point of contact, well over 50 people were dead.

The base on Magus is quite large, at least 500 people were there. The team that made contact is on Rustic, sitting in quarantine until we can figure out what happened. The curse shouldn't spread there.*

We've sent in military teams. Haven't heard back from them -- either dead or pinned down. We don't dare let people come back. And we're afraid this might spread to the people on Magus.

* this is a pretty safe bet -- almost none of you have powers that will work on rustic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
"Why earth visit Magus? How long hose this been growing on? How did his go to Magus?"
General Information: Earth has been visiting other worlds for about 10 years, via infinity style conveyors. They've been reasonably responsible with the locals, trying to respect their rights, not do too much damage to the culture, be careful with disease and what not, but they also have been trying get their hands on both the local magic and rich mineral deposits. Payment is made, and a minimum has been set, but they are very much going out into the worlds, exploring, and so forth.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #245
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Lunar: a small world, with 2/3 earth gravity. Populated by small villages of humans, with virtually no cities. Early TL 2. Local magic revolves around healing and potion-fueled transformations. Ruling class mostly transform into monsters for combat, presumably via potions. All magic works only at the range of touch. Spirit insubstantial doesn't work. Language is Celtic or Chineese, depending on area.

Shroud: A world where light, sound, and most magic senses(touch excluded) do not work at a distance. Plant life appears like coral. Life forms are mostly large forms of invertebrates. Giant spiders are particuarly dangerous. The link between Lunar and Magus.

Pocket: Ruled by Gemini, a race that always gives birth to identical twins. The two are in constant mental communication, an in their own law are one being. Gemini are natural mages, are particularly potent when working with their twin. They can create gates from one twin to the other, transporting anything from mere sound to all objects. They also make liberal use of energy manipulation. There is only one city on Pocket, and with the number of portals, you can end up anywhere. The majority population is not Gemini, but a stocky, hardy people who can see additional colors. Dominant language is Sanscrit. Mind magic works, but range is often an issue due to portal use. Insubstantial works, though portals often don't work for various forms. Adjacent to Magus

Spire: The ground is a series of tall rock spires above an area filled mostly with noxious mist. Rains come every 87 days, pour like mad for 12 days, and then don't return for the next 87. Temperatures tend to be higher than earth. Most life is reptilian, including the native reptilian 'dragon men', who cultivate plants and glide between spires. flying wild life is common. Dragon men are TL4, except for chemical endeavors -- no gunpowder, no coal. They have great technical skill-- gliding carriages and elaborate architecture abound. Local language is Mayan. government is a Theocracy worships the locals spirits. The spirits are active only during storms. They have compact forms, but widespread senses, forms of TK, and control of weather. Mental magic is difficult -- -5 to all attempts, and durations are divided by 10. Insubstantial cannot interfere with mortal affairs without bathing in burning of special powders. Treat as insubstantial. (adjacent to Rustic)

Possession: any non-living object with the approximate body shape of a man, will be possessed by a spirit over the course of a few hours if it is left unattended. This notably includes statues and corpses. The spirits focus on making more receptacles for their kind to come through. This can involve art but the quickest method is killing. the spirits don't consider humans to have real rights, and to be temporary be nature. The TL 2 people have many taboos and practices to keep the spirits from possessing them, including cremation. Mind magic works, Spirit insubstantial works but the 'space' it occupies is pretty crowded.(adjacent to Pocket and Spire)

Last edited by ericthered; 05-20-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #246
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
After she has Biggs answer she checks with anyone else she might think would like to join in on the investigation, like Ward and Anna.

"I find this curse quite intriguing... Perhaps learning more about this magic will prove useful. I will accompany you, as my duties here have been all but fulfilled, and my city still well protected. The humans have become somewhat more reasonable now that we have defeated their foe for them."

Ward is enticed by the notion of adding this curse to his own repertoire... perhaps changing attacking armies to harmless woodland creatures... or perfecting the Mask of the Father spell that has been evading his grasp.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #247
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ana is busy making herself loved among the UN, and waves off the request: "I am an ambassador to earth, not magus. And I am most useful in combat, not cloak and dagger"

The three heroes pile into hut, and journey to Magus, arriving a good ten miles outside of the infected base. At baba's suggestion, they first visit a nearby village for information. The villagers say they've heard shooting over at the base, but haven't seen any monsters, of the local kinds or otherwise, and they haven't seen anyone leave the base.

They did see a fairly wealthy man come through and ask for directions. He spoke the formal dialect of chineese, but had no accent they could identify. He was looking for the province capital, which is a ways away. Without mind magic and with the language capabilities of the others, Baba Yaga has to do all of the talking.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #248
the_matrix_walker

While the Avatar remains with the group, Ward and His Shadow expand to their full area of effect.
Then while Ward examines their immediate surroundings, His Shadow heads out to examine the base.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #249
LemmingLord

Bigg lets Baba know he's going to get some air 100 cubits thataway into the woods away from any crowds.

H starts a large set of epic life detection spells to discern threats, the different kind and number of mamillian and reptilian species, and those who are magically transformed varieties.

If that kind of magic doesn't prove to work here at range, Bigg will let off some steam doing pull ups in a nearby tree.

Ooc: does the invisibility seem to be working here?

Last edited by LemmingLord; 06-07-2015 at 01:00 PM.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #250
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Bigg finds Invisibility works fine here. The villagers are probably being honest when they say they haven't seen any monsters. There's a small dragon nearby, but it seems to be nocturnal. There are lots of different species, but all of them are small. There's a high diversity, and an large number of them fly.

He doesn't notice any transformed creatures within half a mile of here, or the magistrate.

Ward's immediate inspection of the villagers reveals little else of interest -- though he now has some great material for blackmailing the village leader (by naming a mistress).

Shadow has no trouble getting into the base. There is a little blood splatter on the walls, but its being cleaned up. Everyone looks human. Shadow can't look at their minds to confirm that though.

Last edited by ericthered; 06-08-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Tags
god slayers