Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Finding out a Human's # of forces & potential...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Hmm. That would be an interesting Artifact(?) for Eli to create. A bathroom scale that measures # of forces/potential forces.
But would it be in Pounds or Kilos?

*serene, evil smile*
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

EDIT: Agreed totally on the Powers, by the way, though the plural presents similar problems -- "Elohim" is how the Hebrew Bible traditionally refers to te God. In writing, my own preference is to stick to the grammatically-incorrect "Elohites." (Except when submitting a manuscript to SJG, of course.)
That's a relatively recent phenomenon, however, caused by the extreme cultural shifts occuring at thr time the Torah first got written down. The Hebrew singular noun "El" is the masculine form of the word god. "Elo" is the feminine form,l "goddess", and the 'him' suffix pluralizes it, referring to a group of gods of mixed gender; the English equivalent would be 'gods' or possibly 'pantheon.' Its use to refer to a singular god began when the Deuteronomists declared the cult of YHVH to be the state religion, stamped out the Asherites and the other subsidiary cults, and started claiming that the whole culture had always been monotheists.

EDIT: Ok, technically henotheists at that time, but the distinction is largely irrelevant for this purpose.

Last edited by Dalillama; 12-06-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post

*serene, evil smile*
What does one normally measure puissance in? 8)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
That's a relatively recent phenomenon, however, caused by the extreme cultural shifts occuring at thr time the Torah first got written down. The Hebrew singular noun "El" is the masculine form of the word god. "Elo" is the feminine form,l "goddess", and the 'him' suffix pluralizes it, referring to a group of gods of mixed gender; the English equivalent would be 'gods' or possibly 'pantheon.' Its use to refer to a singular god began when the Deuteronomists declared the cult of YHVH to be the state religion, stamped out the Asherites and the other subsidiary cults, and started claiming that the whole culture had always been monotheists.

EDIT: Ok, technically henotheists at that time, but the distinction is largely irrelevant for this purpose.
And of course, Christians hold that the use of Elohim (plural) to refer to God is an early hint at His triune nature.

Back on topic: CPG also notes another way to get an estimate of current Forces, via the Essence-reading glasses of an Impudite of Technology. Granted, most humans are fairly low on Essence due to crisis-flaring, so it wouldn't help that often, but it's a possibility.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Isn't that distinction usually made by Italian Malakim?

"I can-a pound them, or I can-a kill-a them. Your choice."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Wasn't there a testicular hardness scale for that with the upper limit being brass?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
JCD

Quote:
Isn't that distinction usually made by Italian Malakim?

"I can-a pound them, or I can-a kill-a them. Your choice."
You make my brain hurt.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #18
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I was pondering in Rainbows. You know, so you can tell if they're 30% cooler. O;>
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #19
naraht

Quote:
And of course, Christians hold that the use of Elohim (plural) to refer to God is an early hint at His triune nature.

Back on topic: CPG also notes another way to get an estimate of current Forces, via the Essence-reading glasses of an Impudite of Technology. Granted, most humans are fairly low on Essence due to crisis-flaring, so it wouldn't help that often, but it's a possibility.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim#...ular_or_plural

And then of course there is the way that the Latter Day Saints deal with the issue.
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #20
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post

This post has been haunting me awhile, despite a rather full schedule. First, it's cool. Second, where did you find all this out??

And third...go post in TPW...please.

Tags
forces, humans