Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
Tom Mazanec

Default Yrth 2018

Are there any updates on events on Yrth 2006-2018?
Tom Mazanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
Kax

Default Re: Yrth 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
Are there any updates on events on Yrth 2006-2018?

None official, yet.

Me, I got around that problem by having a demon war and a 200 year gap. :)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
None official, yet.

Me, I got around that problem by having a demon war and a 200 year gap. :)
Ooh, sounds interesting. Tell us about the Demon War?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
Michael Cule

Nothing yet.

(I keep hoping.)

It's been a dozen years and it was fifteen between 3rd Ed FANTASY and 4th Ed BANESTORM.

An update would need to account for the fate of the Emperor and the outcome of the Caithness Civil War and perhaps for another Holy War between the Empire and Al-Wazif. There's the Black Woods too...

Where would Maximum Game Fun lie in an updated Yrth? What sort of fantasy adventures should it support? Are there trends in these things?
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
LoneWolf23k

I'd love to see Yrth adapted into a Dungeon Fantasy-style setting, with modified templates to account for the lack of divine magic. Turn the Cleric into a Priest-Wizard, etc.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
I'd love to see Yrth adapted into a Dungeon Fantasy-style setting, with modified templates to account for the lack of divine magic. Turn the Cleric into a Priest-Wizard, etc.
That's how I play my Banestrom campaign; a kind of DF-Yrth style.
I would LOVE to see a officiel Yrth setting for DF.
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Where would Maximum Game Fun lie in an updated Yrth? What sort of fantasy adventures should it support? Are there trends in these things?
When you picked up the book in 2005, you could just take it go. When you pick up the book in 2018, you either have to invent thirteen years' worth of interesting history and abandon many of the plots that were brewing at the time, or else you have to pad the timeline out an extra thirteen years, rewriting the timeline and possibly inserting extra events and people to explain the discrepancy. Either way is a lot of work. Maximum Game Fun lies in not having to do that work.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
When you picked up the book in 2005, you could just take it go. When you pick up the book in 2018, you either have to invent thirteen years' worth of interesting history ...
The only reasons you have to have the date in Yrth be 2018 are the box on p6 of the Banestorm book, and the desire to banestorm people from present-day Earth to Yrth.

If you don't need those, life's a great deal simpler. If Yrth is being used in the Infinite Worlds setting, having the date set back a few years also avoids the problem of it potentially being a world where a parachronic projector would work.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Ooh, sounds interesting. Tell us about the Demon War?

Oh, just a little simple invasion from a demon king from a different demonic world than the one associated with Yrth, a world response to that invasion that had mullahs standing shoulder to shoulder with priests and priestesses, the exposure on use of MoS's stocks of tech devices, and the twisting of the world to remove/change the transistor effect so the weapon being used on the demon king would stop working--but that happened too slowly to stop him being pushed out with his minions.

Some of the minions managed to stay behind, though.

:) So anyone trying to develop tech much beyond steam has a serious uphill road ahead.

But now, because the MoS and friends couldn't put all the genies back in their boxes, there's steam engines (with mages and alchemists involved), black powder firearms (with mages and alchemists involved), and a couple of other things that give TL4 (and some early TL5) in cities and advanced towns.

The feudal system is still in place, the Underground Engineers are still underground, and cities still have MoS or similar offices.

And Missile Shield amulets are ubiquitous for those that can afford them.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The only reasons you have to have the date in Yrth be 2018 are the box on p6 of the Banestorm book, and the desire to banestorm people from present-day Earth to Yrth.

If you don't need those, life's a great deal simpler. If Yrth is being used in the Infinite Worlds setting, having the date set back a few years also avoids the problem of it potentially being a world where a parachronic projector would work.
The benefit for our group is that if I say "You were all banestormed to Yrth in 2006, it is currently 2006" we're all younger - healthier and with fewer family ties left behind to cause angst. That's a bigger problem for a group of ~20 year old gamers rather than 35-40s... but given that it's not even two decades, I'm happy to have the "current" state of affairs in Yrth at 2018 be as presented in the book. There's a few years added somewhere in history that have been lost track of. Whatever :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote