Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
BlackLiger

Default Re: Luck (Spellcasting only) - how to value limitation

Having talked to Kromm on this, where I directed it to a single skill (for Gadgeteering (Quick), applied only to programming), that was -70%.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #32
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLiger View Post
Having talked to Kromm on this, where I directed it to a single skill (for Gadgeteering (Quick), applied only to programming), that was -70%.
That sounds a bit more generous than I'd prefer, and I tend to want Aspected to be more like -30% or -40%, with 50% or so for Very Aspected.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #33
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
This seems like an odd default. I often wonder how a mage every learns the vast number of spells he/she learns when they are so likely to crit fail when first attempting them...
By casting ceremonially with a more experienced mage and spending a crapton of extra energy to get a skill bonus, probably.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #34
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

By casting ceremonially with a more experienced mage and spending a crapton of extra energy to get a skill bonus, probably.
Or by doing the magical equivalent of taking classroom theory, reading the manual, and dry-firing on the range. Like many dangerous things, perfecting the thinking and motions might constitute the majority of the training. Actual hands-on doing for the first time might be a graduation exercise or final exam. For a lot of really dangerous or difficult things, it might never happen . . . Does anyone seriously believe that wizards who know Resurrection or Great Wish test-fire spells that need 300 or 2,000 energy, ever? Of course they don't!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #35
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Actual hands-on doing for the first time might be a graduation exercise or final exam. For a lot of really dangerous or difficult things, it might never happen . . . Does anyone seriously believe that wizards who know Resurrection or Great Wish test-fire spells that need 300 or 2,000 energy, ever? Of course they don't!
Now there's a Discworld-style adventure seed. In certain chunks of Medieval Europe, tradition required that a rising journeyman or university student foot the bill for his own promotion shindig. That cost might be high enough to prevent the creation of a lot of new masters, leaving a growing population of skilled but semi-permanently junior grumbling journeymen/students. There's a comedy adventure awaiting PCs trying to wrangle enough willing participants to ceremonially cast Great Wish so that an impatient wannabe master magician can finally get his diploma.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #36
BlackLiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
That sounds a bit more generous than I'd prefer, and I tend to want Aspected to be more like -30% or -40%, with 50% or so for Very Aspected.
I focused it to a specific skill for that. Spells are more than 1 item, so -40% sounds entirely reasonable.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #37
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLiger
I focused it to a specific skill for that. Spells are more than 1 item, so -40% sounds entirely reasonable.
That's still pretty broad, IMO. What related category do you suppose would fit the book value of -20%?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #38
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLiger View Post
I think -40% is way off.

Luck Lets you:
->Affect your own rolls
->Affect rolls directed right at you
->Affect GM decree 'luck checks' (IE I will roll 1d6, on a 1 awesome stuff, on a 6 bad stuff)
->Affect reaction rolls.

Magic lets you use a spell to (assuming you have the spell; but how many spells you have will not effect the cost of luck availability- the fact that the spell exists and that the PC can learn it is all that is important):
->Perform basically every function of every existing skill
->Affect defense against most rolls directed right at you (through blocking spells)
->Affect others (via mind control spells)

So luck that only effects magic is really only missing out on GM decreed luck checks, and rerolling for your base stats/surprise attacks where you were unable to use a blocking spell.

I would say that, because of the sheer breadth of spells, this is only worth -10% at max.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luck