Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
kirbwarrior

Default Re: A lesser super-luck: saved roll

I'm not sure basing it on Super Luck makes the most sense. It's comparable to buying ATR and DTR (extra turn and less turns), which would come out to 0pts but is clearly an upside. If the trait worked opposite (you fruit now but stuck later) I would take super luck with temporary disadvantage: cursed to simulate that... Which actually sounds about as useful.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #22
kdtipa

My common house rule for normal luck levels is to change them from being on real world time basis to using a sort of D&D like concept of encounters, plus rolls outside of encounters. To give an idea...

Luck (15 points)
Once per encounter, and once per session outside of encounters, if you don't like the result of a roll, you can roll twice more, and take the result you like best. If a roll is being made that affects you directly (like someone shooting at you), you can force them to roll three times and take the worst result.

The next level would be twice per encounter, and twice per session outside of encounters, and the 60 point level would be 3 times. I like how that works because it means luck will get used more instead of hoarded.

The reason I shared all that is because I think that the thinking could be applied to this version of luck too. I might define it something like...

Luck Balance (15 points) {just a guess at cost...}
Once per session, if you roll a critical success on a task that you don't need a critical success for, you can adjust the result to a normal success, and save the margin of success for later. The roll cannot be on a repetitive activity like folding origami over and over. It must be on a normal roll that the GM calls for.

The saved margin of success can then later be applied to another 3d roll, potentially taking the result down to another critical success.

Example: Adventurer John is trying to keep up with his party and rolls against Hiking to avoid fatigue. He rolls a critical success (3), but only needed a 12 or less to succeed, so he uses his Luck Balance, and saves the margin of success of 9 for later. When the group is attacked by bandits later, John misses a critical dodge roll, and decides to use his Luck Balance to subtract 9 from what he rolled, bringing it down to a success.

Edit: Since the Luck Balance version relies on a previous critical success roll, and it can only be used once per session, it is likely less effective than normal luck... though if you have a low probability attempt at something later (like making a really hard shot where effective skill goes down to 6 or something like that), having an amount you can subtract from the result instead of two more bell curve guided rolls could be more useful. So maybe this form of luck is 10 points per level? 5 maybe? I don't know... just throwing ideas out that I'm hoping will help.

Last edited by kdtipa; 12-28-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: re-thinking balance...
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #23
kirbwarrior

I like the idea of Luck Balance. The only part that bothers me is the 'per session' part. Criticals are already hard enough to come by, and have even less situations where you'd want to not crit. I'd rather leave it open-ended and let players come up with ways to have fun with it.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luck