Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #341
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
If someone cares deeply and most about spreadsheets, the new edition of the game will not "feel" like Car Wars. For those who want to play the game with friends, the new game is significantly faster, easier, and more likely to get table time with a wider number of players.

At the GAMA show last week, our sessions with retailers went over big.
At the GaryCon games, there were routinely people just watching to get a sense of the game, and I couldn't help but notice that the majority of them were guys (like me) in their late 40's who grew up playing Car Wars.

I don't have the time for prep that I did before college, so I appreciate the streamlining and speeding up of everything. I enjoy the part of the game where you zoom in and blow each other up. Not the part where you figure out all of the weights and speeds to make a car build 'work'.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #342
juris

What about CW on mobile devices? You want to update CW right ;)? You did that for Zombie Dice...
Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #343
TheAmishStig

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies since yesterday...with the way "they're getting rid of pound-by-pound optimization" can get polarizing, I really appreciate that.

Phil, if the game takes hold it may be worth formalizing a "start from scratch" system.

I could see it coming in useful in a tournament setting...being able to give players identical decks and let them pick a model that looks cool, rather than fighting over wanting specific models to get access to that model's cards.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #344
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I could see it coming in useful in a tournament setting...being able to give players identical decks and let them pick a model that looks cool, rather than fighting over wanting specific models to get access to that model's cards.
Isn't the plan already to be able to build a car from scratch? This seems to imply you get specific cards for each specific model.

Confused.....
Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #345
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I believe the cards are a game play aid, not randomly drawn. If I remember correctly, you could theoretically have something like the old vehicle record sheets, as long as the points added up and all the information from the cards was included.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #346
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Isn't the plan already to be able to build a car from scratch? This seems to imply you get specific cards for each specific model.
From what I understand - and I may be wrong! - while different models of car will come with different cards representing their specific loadout, the game encourages you to mix-and-match for your own play style. They merely speed car construction and double-checking. "I've got one 3-point card, two 2's, and three 1's. Ten points. Let me see yours? Okay, four 2's and two 1's. Let's play!"
Old 03-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #347
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I believe the cards are a game play aid, not randomly drawn. If I remember correctly, you could theoretically have something like the old vehicle record sheets, as long as the points added up and all the information from the cards was included.
I guess you COULD, but I have absolutely no idea why you would choose to do so when all the information you need is on the cards and dashboard and you can have those out during play. It would make checking your build (or your opponent's) a lot harder, too, as opposed to looking at cards and saying, "Wait, you can't have two of those on the same side."

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #348
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I guess you COULD, but I have absolutely no idea why you would choose to do so when all the information you need is on the cards and dashboard and you can have those out during play. It would make checking your build (or your opponent's) a lot harder, too, as opposed to looking at cards and saying, "Wait, you can't have two of those on the same side."
This my "agreeing with you" face. Given the choice between yet another 8 1/2x11" sheet of paper and the nice-looking cards and dashboard, I'd much rather take the latter.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #349
Racer

It sounds a lot like how Games Workshop's BattleCars used to play , with module components ?

We had half days on Friday's at my boarding school - also two hours of lessons Saturday mornings . Could easily play three games between 2pm & 5pm Tea Fridays . Car Wars would take most of Saturday - 1pm to 9pm with breaks .
Or even whole Sundays . Crash City took a whole weekend , set up in a empty dorm in the Prefects Annex .

Last edited by Racer; 03-19-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #350
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
It sounds a lot like how Games Workshop's BattleCars used to play , with module components ?
Egad -- and I thought I was the only one who remembered *that* game.

Personally: I'm reserving my own judgment until FnordCon -- and then, I'll be going in "tabula rasa".

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
Closed Thread