Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Game mechanics of luck (lowercase) passively affecting a character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
What you want is something that changes criticals, unfornutely, criticals are already too biased in GURPS, since skills of 16+ are common, most rolls have 10% chance of success, only .5% chance of failure. Also, because combat criticals are very powerful, it would be very unbalanced indeed.

What you can have is a perk, allowing criticals on a 7, but making 16+ a critical failure.
Actually, I didn't intend for criticals higher than 6, but rather some effect on the possibility of getting a wider/narrower crit range in addition to normal skill modifiers. Also, perhaps some adjustments to the 3d roll for the type of critical.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Actually, I didn't intend for criticals higher than 6, but rather some effect on the possibility of getting a wider/narrower crit range in addition to normal skill modifiers. Also, perhaps some adjustments to the 3d roll for the type of critical.
I think me that "rrrroll one die extra and drop one" at sixty points be fine. Wishin' and Cursin' modifiers from Visualization can mayhaps be plied 'pon it ferrr effects 'pon yerrr mates orrr foemen rrrespectively, says I.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
What you want is something that changes criticals, unfornutely, criticals are already too biased in GURPS, since skills of 16+ are common, most rolls have 10% chance of success, only .5% chance of failure. Also, because combat criticals are very powerful, it would be very unbalanced indeed.

What you can have is a perk, allowing criticals on a 7, but making 16+ a critical failure.
If you do the math, you'll find that the 4dc3 mechanic boosts the odds of criticals a lot. For example, the change of a 3 goes from 1/216 to 21/1296, a 3.5x boost.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
[*]Will make improbable lucky events more probable, and probable unlucky events less probable, but by affecting their chances of occurring, as opposed to an all-or-nothing 'yes will happen' or the like.
It sounds like what you might want is a bonus to non-attribute tests. Something like the global bonus of the Bless spell in magic.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
McAllister

Quote:
Actually, I didn't intend for criticals higher than 6, but rather some effect on the possibility of getting a wider/narrower crit range in addition to normal skill modifiers.
I don't think I'm parsing this right. What exactly are a wide/narrower crit range, if not more numbers to get a crit on?

One idea I had is that you could look more at the dice themselves. Any non-18 triple is a critical success, for an example which adds fewer crits than counting 7s, or a +2 bonus on any roll in which two dice show the same value. Since we've more-or-less agreed that 50 is a fair value for +1 to all rolls, you could price the latter by multiplying 100 by the chance of a double happening (which I have no idea what that chance is).

The latter suggestion definitely hits #1 and #3 of your requests, and I'm not sure whether or not you'd call it luck-related, so it might hit #2 as well.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
I don't think I'm parsing this right. What exactly are a wide/narrower crit range, if not more numbers to get a crit on?
What I mean is stuff like having a 6- crit range despite only rolling against a 14.

Or, for below-average luck, having a crit range of 5- even at skill 16.

Some sort of way to modify these things.

Though the best thing posted so far was this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It sounds like what you might want is a bonus to non-attribute tests.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #17
The Benj

Roll 4, keep 3 is really quite strong. It's a solid (about +1.5) bump to success chance, a huge increase to critical success and a massive drop in crit failure chance. If it applies to all success rolls, I'd charge at least 75. If it also applies to hit locations, critical result tables and the like, then at least 100.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chance, luck, path of chance, probability