Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Jasonft

Default Re: Super Luck for One Skill

This combo is easily abused. Gadgeteering or Cinematic Gadgeteering paired with Super Luck at (-80%) is lethal in the hands of a creative player. Assuming they space out the necessary actions properly in-game they will be running around in Battlesuits before you can blink.

What skill or ability were you looking at pairing it with?
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
This combo is easily abused. Gadgeteering or Cinematic Gadgeteering paired with Super Luck at (-80%) is lethal in the hands of a creative player. Assuming they space out the necessary actions properly in-game they will be running around in Battlesuits before you can blink.

What skill or ability were you looking at pairing it with?
I wouldn't actually say that it would a -80% limitation. Assuming that you get it on a skill that your character would routinely use it wouldn't reduce the number of lucky breaks you get, just give them a theme.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-20-2013 at 02:36 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I wouldn't actually say that it would a -80% limitation. Assuming that you get get it on a skill that your character would routinely use it wouldn't reduce the number of lucky breaks you get, just give them a theme.
This. A limit on how you can spend a very small pool of resources is less of a limit than on a larger pool.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Yes, this. I did eventually buy it up to -60% gadgets only, so I was able to safely drive my 500 mph fusion-powered motorcycle.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Jasonft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Yes, this. I did eventually buy it up to -60% gadgets only, so I was able to safely drive my 500 mph fusion-powered motorcycle.
For myself I have it through a focus and costing a lot of fatigue. Combined with various investigation skills and Oracle (Digital) it makes things *much* easier trying to track that nasty secret supervillan conspiracy. ;)

These examples underscore my earlier post however. In the hands of an intelligent player Super Luck does all kinds of things to mess up campaigns.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Kallatari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
I would use aspected (-20%) or (houserule) Aspected(one skill/ability) (-40%).
I'm with Celjabba on this one.

As to why I believe this, according to RAW, Aspected is worth -20% and that already brings you down from allowing you to use Luck (or Super Luck, etc.) with several hundred skills, all attributes, and many other rolls, to just perhaps 5 or 6 different types of rolls that fall under one theme.

Yes, this number can vary a bit, but it's what the players will roll. While Aspected Combat does allow you to use it with probably a good 50 combat skills, most players will typically only use 5 to 6 different combat skills and related traits (like Dodge) anyway. The fact that you might use it with some obscure weapon on some rare occasion is to me insignificant.

So based on that, why would going from 5 or 6 different rolls at -20% suddenly jump to -80% for a single skill. That just doesn't make sense. I'd also use the -40%.

As another reason, you can also model the cost after Accessibility. I don't remember where I saw the more detailed breakdown on how the price Accessibility (Power, I think), but it gave you a modifier based on how often you thought it would limit you. A clearly remember that a limitation that would limit you 50% of the time was a -20% limitation. At the worse case, if something only allowed you to use your ability 5% of the time or less, it was the maximum -40% Accessibility limitation.

I would speculate that a "One Skill" limitation might mean that it applies to 5% or less of all the rolls you'll make. So, to me, making "Only one skill" a -40% limitation sounds more appropriate than -80%.

Anyways, that's my opinion as to how to price it, and why. It's been working well in my campaign.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luck, skill, super luck