Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #251
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Purely anecdotal, but locally I can say that A) my FLGS has (or at least had, recently) Low-Tech in stock and B) the population of GURPS buyers has decreased dramatically here recently. Going by the FLGSes sales of GURPS books in the past, I'm pretty sure that I personally knew most of the five or so people that would buy new GURPS hardbacks. Some (at least four) of them moved away and some of them stopped playing RGPs altogether as far as I can tell (two of them are new fathers). I've managed to recruit one brand new player, and she bought Characters (and I don't see her as ever buying Low-Tech).

The other GURPS GM that I personally game with didn't even know Low-Tech existed and I got him a pdf copy (using the method that Xenocore explained in the e23 thread; buy a copy without logging in, give the intended recipient's email). He doesn't read the forums much, but he does read the Illuminator regularly. He does buy new GURPS releases (he owns every DF release).

Now as far as I can tell, we don't have a local MIB, and so it's really falling on me to promote GURPS now, as I may be the only GM with an active campaign at this time in the county. I can only recruit so many people to play GURPS, personally.

I'm not sure what the deal with the MIBs is, I've personally never seen one. I'm not sure the program is at all very effective. If I could humbly suggest one thing, perhaps the MIB program might be improved. Does it actively recruit in regions where there is a need? Does it have any mechanisms to ensure that MIBs are actually doing anything besides collecting Munchkin promos (I'm not accusing anybody here, I'm just curious, as this seems like an obvious flaw in the system based on human nature)?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #252
walkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Overall the report left me feeling hopeful and upbeat - I love to hear when SJG is doing well! The fact that Low-Tech had "disappointing sales" is kind of a bummer though - I was hoping it would do much, much better in hard copy. Probably see even fewer hard covers now if something like Low-Tech doesn't sell well! C'est la vie.
Damn, I actually forgot to buy it while moving and getting a new job.

So, do you know by now how many PDFs are exported?
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #253
DeDiceManCometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
No. Even if you were to add the PDF sales numbers to the print sales numbers directly, the number of units sold would still be lower than expected. There's definitely no issue with PDF cannibalizing print, here.
Report to the Stakeholders said e23 sales were slightly higher. Didn't say how profitable it is, though.

Just wondering how much more shrinkage in the GURPS physical market can be tolerated before it becomes an e23 product only? And then, how long can it persist as e23 only?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #254
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Now as far as I can tell, we don't have a local MIB, and so it's really falling on me to promote GURPS now, as I may be the only GM with an active campaign at this time in the county. I can only recruit so many people to play GURPS, personally.
Have you ever considered to fill the job?

Quote:
I'm not sure what the deal with the MIBs is, I've personally never seen one. I'm not sure the program is at all very effective. If I could humbly suggest one thing, perhaps the MIB program might be improved. Does it actively recruit in regions where there is a need? Does it have any mechanisms to ensure that MIBs are actually doing anything besides collecting Munchkin promos (I'm not accusing anybody here, I'm just curious, as this seems like an obvious flaw in the system based on human nature)?
MIBs are volunteers. The program is very effective, but the MIBs are free to demo whatever they like. Munchkin is a favorite, because it is a best seller and also because it's quick and fun.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #255
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
MIBs are volunteers. The program is very effective, but the MIBs are free to demo whatever they like. Munchkin is a favorite, because it is a best seller and also because it's quick and fun.
I had a lot of interest in my area recently with the Cthulhu Dice game. Even if I did have to explain to everyone who tried it who/what Cthulhu is.

There was one suggestion that sounded interesting though. A deluxe version with an included dice bag and the instruction chart printed on cloth that could be stuffed in the bag.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #256
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
After scanning through and seeing no mention of Car Wars, the only thing that caught my eye was the fact that SJ continues to say a dice game was sent to the printers.
Sure it was. Is there something that strikes you as unusual about that statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Not just the FLGSs, but when I did decide to pick up the Low-Tech Hardback I went looking for it online and other than W23 and Amazon I couldn't find it out there at all.
As I said, the real issue is that stores simply didn't order many copies. There are many possible reasons behind this, and we're doing our best to figure out what those are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Mmh... according to e23: What's Hot, GURPS Low Tech and its companions are the best-selling products in the last few months.
Sure! The PDF is selling great.

Quote:
You say that even adding up those good PDF sales to print sales, the total sales were lower than expected for the print sales alone.

I guess that means that pdfs still sells far fewer units than printed books?
Yes. PDFs are all direct sales, while books are sold in huge batches to distributors. For a book to be worth making, it has to sell somewhere in the thousands of copies, while PDFs are profitable after selling in the hundreds of copies.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #257
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
Have you ever considered to fill the job?
Sure, but apparently that involves a huge commitment, IMO and feel overcommited as it is.

Quote:
That's not what I meant. I meant I'm curious if there are rules to ensure they do actually promote the games, as opposed to sitting on their butt and collects promos for themselves.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #258
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Quote:
After scanning through and seeing no mention of Car Wars, the only thing that caught my eye was the fact that SJ continues to say a dice game was sent to the printers.
Sure it was. Is there something that strikes you as unusual about that statement?

Hmm, I looked again and did not see Car Wars mentioned. Can you quote the relevant passage?

Yes, since dice are not printed, I find it unusual to say that a dice game was sent to the printers. Obviously YMMV.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #259
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Yes, since dice are not printed, I find it unusual to say that a dice game was sent to the printers. Obviously YMMV.
The dice aren't, but the rules and packaging are another story, I suspect.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #260
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
The dice aren't, but the rules and packaging are another story, I suspect.
And I suppose the clamshell plastic packaging as well.

I guess I'll just leave it at my original post but I'll continue to emphasize that I find it unusual.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote