Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
jimmylogan

Default Re: Gencon 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylogan
I don't play the game AT ALL anymore. ...
That sounds like the problem you should fix, but not just at Gen Con. :)
LOL - agreed - but x-wing has pretty much taken over my 'grab the board and play' time. :-)
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylogan View Post
Phil said they plan to have 6e there, which prompted me to ask about Classic 'support' from SJG. If 6e is out and ready then I assume that will be the push and Classic will be left in the dust, much like 2.5 was ignored for a long time and then suddenly Classic is out and that's the attention (Arenas, etc.).
I'm still fairly new to the MiB program, but my understanding is that the currently published edition of any of the company's games is what gets supported and demonstrated. So when 6th edition comes out, that becomes the supported edition of the game. And until then Classic is what is supported.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
taamvan

hey guys, just got back from gencon myself, won the Axis and Allies Global42 tourney took all 4 days to do it however!

Friend bought the white box and got me remembering. Wanted to focus on some RPG driven Car Wars with more than just combat. Suppose that there could be some general interest in playing a multi-hour game--how many players do you see at these tables? Are they located in the main hall with all the boardgaming or do you get stuck up in one of the smaller rooms?

Suppose I would love to support a new edition by GMing my proposed adventure but it would mean getting access before hand. Looks like a product to watch for next year.
taamvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by taamvan View Post
Wanted to focus on some RPG driven Car Wars with more than just combat. Suppose that there could be some general interest in playing a multi-hour game--how many players do you see at these tables? Are they located in the main hall with all the boardgaming or do you get stuck up in one of the smaller rooms?
Normally Car Wars at Gen Con is classified into Non-Historical Miniatures (NMN). Barring special requests, NMN events are placed together into one of the halls of the convention center. Next year that will likely remain Hall A. You'll be assigned a rectangle table.

If you ran your game in the RPG category, you'd likely be placed into a smaller room in one of the hotels. You'll be assigned a round table.

The recent events SPARK has run at Gen Con were standard arena duels (so no roleplaying component) for 8 players in a 4 hour slot. They've been well attended.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #15
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Barring special requests, NMN events are placed together into one of the halls of the convention center. Next year that will likely remain Hall A.
I saw quite a few "Car Wars-ish" games there this year.

One was a modified Thunder Road game using customized Hot Wheels vehicles and the other was a 1/24 scale Fury Road game with a big rig running through a canyon being attacked by dinosaurs!!!
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
jimmylogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taamvan View Post
hey guys, just got back from gencon myself, won the Axis and Allies Global42 tourney took all 4 days to do it however!
WOW! Congrats, both on the win and for the "win" of getting to be at Gencon. :-)

Quote:
Friend bought the white box and got me remembering. Wanted to focus on some RPG driven Car Wars with more than just combat.
My buddy Chris and I had a campaign years ago. It was fun! Of course with just the two of us we also did a lot of Top Secret, Traveller, you name it! We entertained each other for hours. :-)

Quote:
Suppose that there could be some general interest in playing a multi-hour game--how many players do you see at these tables? Are they located in the main hall with all the boardgaming or do you get stuck up in one of the smaller rooms?
Well, what I am looking at is not being in the main hall at all, but after hours pick up games in one of the myriad of places that people meet up to play. I have tentative plans from four people, including myself, but as time draws near I can easily see having six or eight people around a map!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #17
jimmylogan

Okay - getting closer... This is NOT for a 'time & ticket' event but for a pick-up game.

Any interest in planning something? Turns out two of the people that were going to be there are not going to make it (one won't be there at all; another can't be there after hours).

So - who wants to get together over some cardboard chits and paper and throw some dice?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
Magesmiley

I'm actually going to be at GenCon this year with my wife (who also plays Car Wars). What all were you thinking (and when)?

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #19
Parody

I'm already booked solid, especially considering our accommodations on the wrong end of the convention center.

Have a good time, though!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #20
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylogan View Post
Okay - getting closer... This is NOT for a 'time & ticket' event but for a pick-up game.

Any interest in planning something? Turns out two of the people that were going to be there are not going to make it (one won't be there at all; another can't be there after hours).

So - who wants to get together over some cardboard chits and paper and throw some dice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I'm actually going to be at GenCon this year with my wife (who also plays Car Wars). What all were you thinking (and when)?
I'm going with three friends. I can't speak for them, but I think they would be interested. We only have free time Friday & Saturday night after 8:00 pm.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote