Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #31
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic

1. Somehow I feel sad for the original Thaumatology book now that RPM came out and was so cheered by the crowds. Anyone else feel like that? Why yes/why no?
  2. Anybody else bothered that we now have Path Ritual Magic and Ritual Path Magic; Magery, Ritual Magery, and Magery (Path) and Magery (Ritual Path); Path Adepts and Ritual Adepts?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #32
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
  1. Somehow I feel sad for the original Thaumatology book now that RPM came out and was so cheered by the crowds. Anyone else feel like that? Why yes/why no?
  2. Anybody else bothered that we now have Path Ritual Magic and Ritual Path Magic; Magery, Ritual Magery, and Magery (Path) and Magery (Ritual Path); Path Adepts and Ritual Adepts?
Yeah, I look at Thaumatology and RPm and other expansions kind of like Psionic Powers was to Powers. Still there is some good stuff that could use more expansion left in Thaumatology.

As for the too many Ritual terms and confusing magery use it annoys me and has for years. I think were stuck with it till Fifth Edition though.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #33
JP42

Quote:
I was an oddball, in that I actually owned Thaumatology: Magical Styles before I owned Thaumatology. So I had a very positive impression of the core book when I finally laid hands on it from how well done I thought Magical Styles was.

And I definitely rename advantages in my campaigns. There are plenty of magical-sounding words to be leveraged in that capacity.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #34
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Somehow I feel sad for the original Thaumatology book now that RPM came out and was so cheered by the crowds. Anyone else feel like that? Why yes/why no?
On the contrary, I'm very happy that Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic is meeting with approval! That's a resounding validation for Thaumatology – proof that you can use the tools in Thaumatology to construct an interesting magic system is conclusive evidence that Thaumatology did its job. I suppose that if you had the bizarre impression that Thaumatology was intended to be an alternative to Magic – to be a system rather than a tool kit – then you might feel that Ritual Path Magic made it obsolete by presenting an alternative to Magic in fewer pages. But of course that was never the goal of Thaumatology . . . that book exists to offer tools, many of which were used to assemble Ritual Path Magic. I hope that future authors can use those tools in other ways, so that game worlds can have several interesting magic systems instead of just one!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
On the contrary, I'm very happy that Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic is meeting with approval! That's a resounding validation for Thaumatology; proof that you can use the tools in Thaumatology to construct an interesting magic system is proof positive that Thaumatology did its job. I suppopse that if you had the bizarre impression that Thaumatology was intended to be an alternative to Magic – to be a system rather than a tool kit – then you might feel that Ritual Path Magic made it obsolete by presenting an alternative to Magic in fewer pages. But of course that was never the goal of Thaumatology . . . that book exists to offer tools, many of which were used to assemble Ritual Path Magic. I hope that future authors can use those tools in other ways, so that game worlds can have several interesting magic systems instead of just one!
I'm not saying that it's bad that RPM got approval and cheering. I'm reading it now and it looks good. (Somehow I mostly kept away from it. Probably has to do with the campaigns as of late.)

I'm feeling sad that the original Thaumatology didn't seem to have as much anticipation and cheering as RPM, even though it seemed to be a 'heavier' book.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

I look at Thaumatology and RPm and other expansions kind of like Psionic Powers was to Powers.
Indeed, Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic is to Thaumatology as Psionic Powers and Powers: Divine Favor are to Powers . . . or as Dungeon Fantasy is to Fantasy, really. Every major genre book and tool kit needs short, sweet worked examples for those who lack the time to do their own work. I'd be rather disappointed if we didn't see stuff like that.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #37
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Thaumatology didn't seem to have as much anticipation and cheering as RPM, even though it seemed to be a 'heavier' book.
That is simply the lot of hefty tool kits: They appeal to makers, who are far less numerous than users. Speaking as the author of quite a few hefty tool kits, it certainly doesn't sadden me when projects based on them do well! Rather, I'm thrilled to see my work inspire success, and view some part of that success as my own. I never go into a tool-kit project thinking, "Yeah, this will make all those people with no free time quit their jobs and tinker." :)

Actually, one of the saddest things for me is when my work doesn't inspire spinoffs in the way that Powers and Martial Arts – and earlier Dungeon Fantasy supplements – clearly have. For instance, the fact that I wrote three Action volumes and nobody wanted to build on them kind of disappoints me.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #38
JP42

Quote:
Every major genre book and tool kit needs short, sweet worked examples for those who lack the time to do their own work. I'd be rather disappointed if we didn't see stuff like that.
Okay, well, speaking in your official capacity, which genre book or tool kit is in most need of a worked example? If one were, say, interested in writing such a thing, hypothetically...
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #39
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post

Okay, well, speaking in your official capacity, which genre book or tool kit is in most need of a worked example? If one were, say, interested in writing such a thing, hypothetically...
Well . . .
  • GURPS Action has just three releases to four for GURPS Monster Hunters and 17 (and counting) for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. That can't be right.

• GURPS Bio-Tech has never received an expansion. Surely there are ultra-short and short items possible on specific new technologies, quick-and-cinematic gengineering rules, Powers crossovers for bio-powers, etc.?

• GURPS Magic has had . . . um, one follow-on (Plant Spells), even though there are 23 other colleges. Surely someone likes the ol' spell-magic system enough that it deserves some love?

• GURPS Mass Combat still hasn't received a single proposal for worked force rosters, or expanded lists of element types, or an element-design system. Huh, I expected all of those about a week after it came out.

• GURPS Social Engineering seems terribly lonely for such a social supplement. (Full disclosure requires me to note that I have one in the publication queue.)

• GURPS Supers has no follow-ons. Whaaa . . . ? Just the FAQs on these forums suggest stuff like GURPS Supers: Speedsters and GURPS Supers: The Ultimate Brick.

• GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles is itself a spinoff, but where are the worked examples of styles? (Again, full disclosure requires me to note that I have one in the publication queue.)
I'll grant that until our queue starts to clear and we can start accepting proposals again, all of this stuff is academic. However, you asked me about need rather than the practicalities of getting supplements approved, edited, and out the door. :)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #40
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Why? It's like being sad that Magery is used multiple times. :-/

Quote:
Actually, one of the saddest things for me is when my work doesn't inspire spinoffs in the way that Powers and Martial Arts – and earlier Dungeon Fantasy supplements – clearly have. For instance, the fact that I wrote three Action volumes and nobody wanted to build on them kind of disappoints me.
Challenge...accepted. :-D

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, magic, ritual path magic