Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #151
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Cost of Living Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwythaint View Post
I still like ownership being treated as an advantage; The 3e adaptation of WoD listed Mansion as a 20pt advantage; I had seen a treatment related to that for Sanctuary in the now defunct Otherwhere.org's "Advanced Goblins &Grottoes" which fealt with real property (or seriously unreal) as an advantage, with enhancements based on accessibility, security and space, so everything from a pocket dimension to the Batcave to the Shield Helicarrier or a floating castle could be covered by it.
I treat having a Home in Sagatafl as a social advantage, regardless of whether you own it or rent it. What reduces the point cost is lack of privacy and lack of other general rights. Including stability. If your landlord can evict you on a whim, with 2 hours notice, then that ought to reduce the point cost massively. If you're just renting a hotel room, even long-term, there's no point cost.

The Shadowrun RPG, at least some editions, also has various modifiers to the character's Lifestyle cost (paid with in-game money) for different kinds of flavourful and individualizing inconveniences, e.g. something like Gremlins (clearly annoying when your house gadgets often malfunction), or Lives With Parents (murder on your social life, and no privacy for adventuring either).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, col, cost of living, economics, game worlds, money, status