Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #71
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Releases seem to be slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Such is life . . . sometimes, we leak the title of something that looks like it's almost a sure thing, only to run into a problem with the contract, or legal concerns, or simply an approval hitch (as here). After the End remains on my weekly report; it isn't marked "Dead" in our database or anything dire like that. Like GURPS Vehicle Design, it's something that we probably shouldn't have mentioned so early, but we're not perfect.
I love the transparency and openness of SJG, its staffers and freelancers.
Also of course the support such as here on the forums and elsewhere.

I was hoping for a nice New Years present yesterday and seeing a GURPS book but still hoping something will get snuck out the door this month.

EDIT: And sure enough after I replied I read further down the list and see David Pulver give an example of that support and transparency :)
I'll look into picking up the remaining items in the Spaceship line as soon as I can.

By the way I have not done much on my GURPS Showcase page past few months due to health issues but am looking for some items to add now that I am out of the hospital and feeling a little better.
The purpose of that site is to point out the strength of GURPS by organizing the books in different ways and pointing to the wealth of fan support articles.
Any Author who wants to send me a bio, list of his books or projects or anything that might just add one more good advertising page on the web is more then welcome to do so.
Anyone with any suggestions at all are also more then welcome.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 01-11-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #72
ClayDowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
As far as I know, GURPS Action hasn't gotten any support, ever, since the publication of its first supplement, GURPS Action 3.
Technical Shooting, Gun Fu, and Social Engineering are also excellent supplements to Action. My group went with Technical Shooting over Gun Fu because we're all at least hobbyist shooters. And we use the full Martial Arts because three fifths of the group actually studies. Demonstration sessions have broken out during lulls in the game.

Some of us, if we ever clear our own decks, should take some time and write adventures for Action. Although for the most part I find the evening news and the music of Warren Zevon to be more than sufficient inspiration.

Last edited by ClayDowling; 01-11-2013 at 03:23 PM.
ClayDowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #73
Hai-Etlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Uh, he's specced in parachronics, not chronomanipulation.
So he needs fine a world where his alternate built a time machine instead.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #74
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
No worries, we've waited this long, it will just feel all the sweeter when it finally arrives!

We do appreciate all the work you're putting in on this (please view all requests for Gurps vehicles as a desire to appreciate even more of your work!).

I assume there will be further editing process after those manhours have been found and put in and then a placement process for production?

Actually are you thinking of a PDF release and then a print release funded by the PDF, or just going straight to print?
Thanks! My instructions are to do as much of the editing as possible on my end, which is one reason it takes a while. (The other is a variety of health and financial issues that have afflicted things of late.)

But production will take some time after it's done.

I believe the plan is PDF, with print only occurring if sales in PDF prove very good (much as was the case with Spaceships or Dungeon Fantasy).
Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #75
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Thanks! My instructions are to do as much of the editing as possible on my end, which is one reason it takes a while. (The other is a variety of health and financial issues that have afflicted things of late.)

I believe the plan is PDF, with print only occurring if sales in PDF prove very good (much as was the case with Spaceships or Dungeon Fantasy).
Cool that all sounds pretty promising, I imagine I'll buy PDF and Print (and I dislike PDF).

Hope the health stuff improves (not a 100% selfless desire obviously)!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #76
Kilmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post

At least one copy will be sold to me (depending on my own HT rolls).
Kilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #77
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmore View Post
At least one copy will be sold to me (depending on my own HT rolls).
Me too, though I think that Vehicles has a deep-but-narrow appeal, that is, those who like it would be willing to put quite some money into it, but there's not many of us who want it.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #78
Faolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Me too, though I think that Vehicles has a deep-but-narrow appeal, that is, those who like it would be willing to put quite some money into it, but there's not many of us who want it.
I've never read the 3e version, so I have no idea what's going to be in the newer version. Is it just cars and boats and planes, or will it cover spaceships and mecha and stuff like that, too? Or do we not know yet?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #79
Dammann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I am starting to wonder if this is still true. Is it just a vocal minority who want it? I know some people have said that they don't really want it, they want a catalog, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
I've never read the 3e version, so I have no idea what's going to be in the newer version. Is it just cars and boats and planes, or will it cover spaceships and mecha and stuff like that, too? Or do we not know yet?
More "how to make them," or really, how to make a stat block for them that is consistent with similarly derived stats from different TLs, different budgets, and observed reality. Calculating stats from specs in Car and Driver or what have you should yield similar results to what the VDS produces. There may also be a design sequence for weapons, robots, etc., but that is less certain.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #80
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
From my understanding from what's been said and based on 3rd Ed. books it'll be to the whole 3rd Ed. vehicle design series what Basic Set was to character creation. Basically combining it all (there were about five or six 3rd ed books with rules compatible with Vehicles), updating as needed (for both rules changes and real-life tech), throwing away or combining things that didn't work out well in previous edition and expanding on all of it.

I'm patient, especially with Spaceships existing, and my only big question is whether the hinted-at Armory will be included in Vehicle Design or at least released within a reasonable time frame afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
More "how to make them," or really, how to make a stat block for them that is consistent with similarly derived stats from different TLs, different budgets, and observed reality. Calculating stats from specs in Car and Driver or what have you should yield similar results to what the VDS produces. There may also be a design sequence for weapons, robots, etc., but that is less certain.
If it's anything like Vehicles 2nd Ed. it'll be putting parts together to make something that should, in theory match real-world equivalent within a reasonable margin of error and to provide a framework for producing internally consistent fictional designs. You won't count every nut and bolt (or even fully separate the engine, transmission and drive train) but it can be pretty detailed. I recall designing a space fighter to be an exercise in anal retentive detail and you end up counting tenths (or even hundredths) of pounds and pennies in the end.

I wouldn't use it to create existing designs where real-life stats are available (though guidelines for getting some of the stat block from real life performance would be nice).

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 01-13-2013 at 02:25 PM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote