Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Is there an "undo"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
What do you mean by the UI making mistakes for you? You can draw the path you want to take by clicking on the hexes you want to pass through if you're unhappy with the suggested path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I think the issue is that many players (myself included) will simply double-click on the target hex assuming the unit will take the optimal route (which would imply NOT moving through dangerous terrain unless explicitly told to). And then occasionally watch in horror as the unit goes the wrong way...
1000% this. Because the UI currently allows movement to happen this way, it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot because the AI is (and I don't say this lightly) stupid; incredibly, horribly stupid. If you just double-click where you want to go, the unit goes there however it feels. The problem is it is not a suggestion; it just moves there when you double-click.

Basically, what you have to do to avoid that is what you suggest: map out the route manually and then double-click. I suggest you drop the automatic move on double-click when no route exists; that way lies madness (and anger). It's too easy for the unit to move prematurely into a bad path. A better UX would be force a single-click to display the route, then allow the double-click to acknowledge; not allow a direct double-click.

I also have serious issues with the AI making simply crap choices for movement in the first place. It should not pick a path with very real consequences (like getting stuck in a swamp or rubble) over a clear path; ever. That's simply a fail. If I manually force the issue myself, that's something else entirely; but that isn't what's happening here.

What I'd be really interested in testing is if it's consistent (i.e., does it always pick the same crap path?).
Old 10-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #12
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
When selecting reinforcements for overruns, it would be EXTREMELY helpful if there was some indicator of what hex each listed unit was in. For example, I wanted to overrun a mostly dead Ogre Mk I (just a couple AP left - I wanted it off the board to clear a safe path for my INF) with only 2 of the 7 GEVs that were in range to overrun. I moved the first one and then couldn't figure out which one the other one I wanted to use was from the list. So I just overran with one (which didn't work, because the treadless Ogre rammed the GEV, but I've already emailed you about that bug :)). Perhaps you can highlight the hex with the unit when you hover over it in the list?
Absolutely this. It's crucial to know from where the other units originate, for a multitude of tactical reasons (eg, range to other targets, movement after overrun, etc).
Old 10-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
offsides

Another suggestion I made via email - ask for confirmation when manually clicking "End Phase" (or at least make that an option). I accidentally clicked it in the middle of my Fire Phase and didn't shoot half my forces...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #14
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

What I'd like, and this may be asking too much, would be this: End Phase works if everything has acted, but if not everything has acted, it comes up with "You still have units that have not fired" and lets you confirm end-phase or go back and keep playing.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
What I'd like, and this may be asking too much, would be this: End Phase works if everything has acted, but if not everything has acted, it comes up with "You still have units that have not fired" and lets you confirm end-phase or go back and keep playing.
Thanks Steve. Offsides' suggestion was logged and there is now a task to add a 'Confirm' option when ending your turn while you have eligible units left to attack.

It's an extra click, but will prevent the frustration of ending a turn without firing. This can severely damage your chances in both single player and multiplayer.

Thanks all :)
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #16
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Thanks Steve. Offsides' suggestion was logged and there is now a task to add a 'Confirm' option when ending your turn while you have eligible units left to attack.

It's an extra click, but will prevent the frustration of ending a turn without firing. This can severely damage your chances in both single player and multiplayer.

That will help, but one of the bigger issues is still the auto-advancement of other phases. Ending a Phase should always be a manual operation. It gets very confusing when some phases do, and some don't; that's been the main source of phase-skipping for me.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #17
Eugee

Quote:

In mission #8 last night, I had *15* HVY in range of the MkIV, and two turns till the train would start moving. I accidentally clicked End Phase.

I said words that were not polite.
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote