Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Snaps

Default Static vs. Mind Bullets

If you have Psi Static and someone attacks you with an Innate Attack with a Psi Power Modifier, do you take no damage?

In other words, does Psi Static protect you from 10d Burning Attack (PM: Psi, -10%) or 10d Crusing Attack (PM: Telekinesis, -10%) ?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
Joel

Default Re: Static vs. Mind Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
In other words, does Psi Static protect you from 10d Burning Attack (PM: Psi, -10%) or 10d Crusing Attack (PM: Telekinesis, -10%) ?
Yes.

(this message was too short)
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Anders

All direct attacks. However, you can still topple a statue on someone's head, unless the statue is within range of the Static power.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Which then brings up the question what to do if you want static to block one, but not the other, but have both effected by neutralize: one is a pure psi attack, and but the other delivers the energy through physical means.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Which then brings up the question what to do if you want static to block one, but not the other, but have both effected by neutralize: one is a pure psi attack, and but the other delivers the energy through physical means.
Which is which?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Snaps

So 30 points for Static (Magic) would protect you from every spell in the magic book, plus any abilities with the Magic Power Modifier?

Why would you ever buy Magic Resistance? (Besides just being short on points).

If you bought Static: Magic with gadget limitations, Can be Stolen, etc. for a necklace that can be removed. Would you need the Switchable Enhancement or is that just an effect of it being a gadget?

I'm thinking you'd only need Switchable if you can switch while wearing the gadget.

30 points really seems like a bargain for this ability. Especially when compared to things like Mana Dampener and Magic Resistance (Or Psi Resistance).
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
So 30 points for Static (Magic) would protect you from every spell in the magic book, plus any abilities with the Magic Power Modifier?
Direct effects, sure
Quote:
Why would you ever buy Magic Resistance? (Besides just being short on points).
Because MR is more fun at high levels. I'd much rather watch opposing wizard blow themselves up with critical failures if they try casting a spell on you than just having the spell not work.
Quote:
If you bought Static: Magic with gadget limitations, Can be Stolen, etc. for a necklace that can be removed. Would you need the Switchable Enhancement or is that just an effect of it being a gadget?
I would rule that on all abilities that have a high buy in for switch-ability (Static, Mana Enhancer, etc) require that enhancement to work. More balance reasons than logic reasons.
Quote:
I'm thinking you'd only need Switchable if you can switch while wearing the gadget.
I disagree, but YMMV
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Which is which?
The cases above are both likely to be the psi attack creating a physical effect, but a purer example is two attacks, one of which uses pure force to hit the enemy and the other of which throws a rock. The raw blow should be ignored by a psi static. The tossed rock shouldn't. And yet if you neutralize to psi neither should work. How do you model that?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The cases above are both likely to be the psi attack creating a physical effect, but a purer example is two attacks, one of which uses pure force to hit the enemy and the other of which throws a rock. The raw blow should be ignored by a psi static. The tossed rock shouldn't. And yet if you neutralize to psi neither should work. How do you model that?
Don't Static and Neutralize already work this way?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Don't Static and Neutralize already work this way?
they should..... and yet its indicated nowhere in the rules. By the ruling above they don't work this way: an innate attack is an innate attack and blocked by static. GM's have just been covering for this using common sense. I'm wondering if there's a more nuance way to do it than reasoning based on what should be "special effects" as written.

Tags
malediction-proof, protected sense, static