Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #31
ArcadianRefugee

Default Re: Munckin Quest Review

I was actually going to post yesterday with the accolades and whines, but got busy.

First, the accolades: Great bleeping game. Seriously. The construction quality (nice, sturdy pieces) is very welcome, after playing games like Zombies!!! which, while fun, are kinda flimsy. That, and I love the fact that there ARE links, holding the tiles together. My only major annoyance with Zombies!!! (the only other "tile" game I play) is that the tiles get jostled around quite easily, and then of course all my friends and I are constantly adjusting them so they are flush with one another. Yes, we're a bit OCD. :)

The rules, while daunting at first, are really rather simple. I played a 2-munchkin solo game so as to be in a better teaching position when I get the boys together this weekend to give it its first official run, and got into the flow rather quickly. Sadly, the first three monsters out were the Plutonium Dragon, Bullrog, and Squidzilla, so it took me a while to get anywhere. Maybe next time I'll shuffle better. :)

Now, as far as the links go, yeah, I have some that fit rather loosely, allowing a long chain of rooms to "snake" when wiggled. Which is fine, honestly, as I really was only excited about the links because they prevented the tiles from "wandering" and constantly (ahem) "needing" adjusting. Still, other links have fit -too- snugly, needing a good thumping to fit. One or two links I encountered didn't seem to fit well at all unless I flipped them (which, of course, then led me to realise that if I lifted the tile and place it down onto the link, rather than vice versa, the problem was solved).

It wasn't a problem with horizontal symmetry, but vertical somehow. Whatever, it worked. :)

Still, those're all rather niggling complaints, but they're there.

Last edited by ArcadianRefugee; 11-18-2008 at 08:52 AM.
ArcadianRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #32
kilnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed
This is the first I've heard of the links causing problems. Our office copies are tight on the entrance, but every other tile/link fits nice and snug without any issues.

Just be careful when taking the board apart -- don't twist or yank on the pieces -- and your parts should hold up just fine. They were designed to fit together tight.
I agree with Phil on this one. I was very impressed with the physical construction of the whole set. Everything was nicely designed and manufactured. As a matter of fact, if the pieces hadn't snapped together so well, a stray motion in the middle of a game would have destroyed the entire layout. The fact it all fit together so rigidly saved the night.

There were a few passages that fit too tightly, but a quick application of a nail file fixed the problem nicely.
kilnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #33
Sean_Hanaginz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilnar
There were a few passages that fit too tightly, but a quick application of a nail file fixed the problem nicely.
I was going to do that but was unsure if it would take up the top (map) layers. I am overly impressed with the construction of the game...the size of each room is just right making the area of the dungeon at game completion manageable for an average table top (though in a few games I had to start assigning walls instead of random passageways to follow the edge of my table).
I did find that some of the room pieces were to fault in the links not fitting. I will have to try the file idea and see if that helps. If anything, at least it's out there for possible future fixes.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #34
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Hanaginz
I was going to do that but was unsure if it would take up the top (map) layers.
File from the center outward, rather than up down.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #35
Solelron
Banned

I had a few of those as well, but a little oomph behind them got them in snug. never had a problem with loose ones.

I do have a few that you can see the wear of being used often on the edges of the tiles, but that may just be my group (quick teardown and they aren't taken off quite as gentle, causing topmap to peel).

Overall love the game. have now played almost 12 hrs of it, and have another several hours coming up this weekend before it gets put up. And picking up my second copy today :)
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote