Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
nick012000

Default Re: Social Vulnerability: Daddy Issues (?)

I don't think a negative reaction modifier would be unwarranted, actually; a lot of girls with daddy issues are varying degrees of damaged goods, and once that becomes apparent, well, GTFOing is probably the smart thing to do. "Don't stick your dick in crazy" is a piece of advice for a reason, you know. I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories of what can happen when a guy doesn't heed it.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #12
whswhs

This has something in common with Admiration, Easily Influenced (Posh), and Like, all of which can be found in Power-Ups 6: Quirks. I think I might allow it as a variation on Admiration, shifted from "specific person" to "person with a specific profile." The game mechanics seems to fit: +2 to reaction rolls, -2 to resist Influence rolls, and -2 to self-control rolls for mental disadvantages that relate to the person.

For more severe effects, you could define a new Compulsive Behavior.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #13
weevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
a lot of girls with daddy issues are varying degrees of damaged goods, and once that becomes apparent, well,
I see what you're saying, but I meant that as the delusion has been stated ("Older men are wise and benevolent") it doesn't seem that the crazy level is high enough to warrant the reaction penalty.

That's your "varying degrees" point. One solution could be to re-state the delusion to make it sound crazier.
weevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #14
Humabout

Remember that a lot of diseases, illnesses, and mental conditions are a griup of traits, not just one. For a great worked example of such, PK has Diabetes statted out on his website.

The best approach to tackling this type of thing is usually breaking out all the mechanical impacts and matching those to traits. For this, I could see a bundle of, say, Admiration (older men), Likes older men, and Reputation "Psycho Chick!" (-2, Men she's dated and men in their social circles, x1/3) [-3] for a convenient total of [-5].

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #15
Bruno

As a woman I'm going to come in to this conversation. Trusting "older men" (not necessarily elderly men) blindly is contra-survival.

A 20 year old woman with the Delusion that older men are all nice and have her best interests in heart is approached by a man in his 40s who says he needs her help lifting something heavy out of his van. It's riiight at the back of the van so she'll have to climb in to get it.

How do you think this story is going to end?

Blindly and completely trusting strange men because of some superficial trait (age, hair colour, race, apparent profession) is bad for anyone. It's worse for women.

Last edited by Bruno; 07-29-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #16
Anders

Isn't that the scenario from Silence of the Lambs?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #17
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Isn't that the scenario from Silence of the Lambs?
I was thinking a serial killer like Ted Bundy, who was a younger man and physically fit, but still managed to feign being injured and in need of assistance well enough to lure women to their deaths.
Add 20 years to Ted Bundy, and now you have a man who can plausibly claim to have physical restrictions without needing to hinder and distinguish himself with slings or crutches or bandages or whatever. He can look perfectly average, but people will still be more inclined to believe a claim like "I have a bad back" or "I have a trick knee".
Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #18
Bruno

My fiance wanted me to post an animated GIF of Bill Cosby here, but we don't do image linking on the forum. Anyways, there's also standard long term abusive relationships, which that sort of mental blip is going to make it easier to find yourself in.

However, there's other kinds of exploitation and predation than sexual or violent predation and exploitation.

Being given the **** job at work at a poor wage and never questioning it because your boss is an older man is a consequence of this sort of thing. Being guided into bad decisions (for you) because it benefits your mentor? That's a real thing.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #19
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
I don't think a negative reaction modifier would be unwarranted, actually; a lot of girls with daddy issues are varying degrees of damaged goods, and once that becomes apparent, well, GTFOing is probably the smart thing to do. "Don't stick your dick in crazy" is a piece of advice for a reason, you know. I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories of what can happen when a guy doesn't heed it.
Most of us probably have. To be fair, that also applies on the women's side, but a lot of them seem to be more aware of it... then there are the ones that aren't, and get on the news as a warning to others.

The main problem on either side is figuring out that someone is nuts, which as Bruno points out, is going to be more difficult for the PC we're discussing, if the psycho is an older man.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevis View Post
I see what you're saying, but I meant that as the delusion has been stated ("Older men are wise and benevolent") it doesn't seem that the crazy level is high enough to warrant the reaction penalty.

That's your "varying degrees" point. One solution could be to re-state the delusion to make it sound crazier.
It's more a matter of how crazy the person's reaction is to the delusion. If her reaction isn't all that nuts, then it's probably Quirk level. It ascends to 5 points if she's particularly fawning to any older man she meets.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, gullibility, influence, social engineering, vulnerability