Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 10-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
Malkavman

Default Embiggening Ray

The Embiggening Ray says it increases the life(and power) of a monster "For the fight," but if the damage to the monster would be beyond its' normal life, this means it would do its' damage, then die after the fight, before moving to the stash. But do Survivor abilities still trigger?

"I wouldn't even take a whiz on this! I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
Malkavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Aleph
Administrator

Default Re: Embiggening Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkavman View Post
The Embiggening Ray says it increases the life(and power) of a monster "For the fight," but if the damage to the monster would be beyond its' normal life, this means it would do its' damage, then die after the fight, before moving to the stash. But do Survivor abilities still trigger?
Given the following definitions:
Quote:
Survive
A hired Monster that has not been squished when the fight ends has survived that fight.

Survivor
A keyword ability. When a hired Monster survives a fight, this ability triggers before that Monster is moved to the stash.
And this section from the rules on the end of the fight:
Quote:
End of the Fight
Note that the Monster will have already been moved to its owner’s discard pile if it was squished during the fight.
  1. The fight ends and all abilities that trigger (or end) at the end of a fight happen now. If multiple abilities would resolve simultaneously, the active player chooses the order in which those abilities resolve.
  2. The surviving Monster is now moved to its owner’s stash face-up, keeping all damage on the card.
  3. The defender's surviving cards are moved to the defender's hoard, maintaining their orientation (either zapped or unzapped).
  4. The active player's munchkining phase continues.
If the monster was not squished during the fight (but only because of the increased Life total from the Mischief), its Life will drop down to zero or less once the fight ends and the Ray's ability ends. However, This is the same step (End of the Fight, 1) where a Survivor ability would also activate. Since the resolution would be simultaneous, the active player could choose to resolve the Survivor ability (and thus its check to see if the monster survived) before choosing to resolve the Embiggening Ray's ability end. In which case, the monster would still be meeting the definition of Survive, enabling its Survivor ability. It will soon be squished though, once the Ray's effect ends.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
Malkavman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph View Post

If the monster was not squished during the fight (but only because of the increased Life total from the Mischief), its Life will drop down to zero or less once the fight ends and the Ray's ability ends. However, This is the same step (End of the Fight, 1) where a Survivor ability would also activate. Since the resolution would be simultaneous, the active player could choose to resolve the Survivor ability (and thus its check to see if the monster survived) before choosing to resolve the Embiggening Ray's ability end. In which case, the monster would still be meeting the definition of Survive, enabling its Survivor ability. It will soon be squished though, once the Ray's effect ends.
If the Survivor ability in question is to turn into a bleed effect, it is not squished, though, as it is now a Curse, and not a monster, correct?

And if the Survivor ability removes the monster from the game, choosing for it to be squished first instead would cause it to merely be discarded instead of exiled, correct?

Just asking because both of these specific examples are waiting on answers in the comments section of my Youtube channel. :-)

"I wouldn't even take a whiz on this! I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
Old 10-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
Aleph
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkavman View Post
If the Survivor ability in question is to turn into a bleed effect, it is not squished, though, as it is now a Curse, and not a monster, correct?
This is correct.

Quote:
And if the Survivor ability removes the monster from the game, choosing for it to be squished first instead would cause it to merely be discarded instead of exiled, correct?
Also correct.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Malkavman

Excellent. I appreciate your reply, and your patience with our inane questions.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to build a new Wizard deck. I suddenly have a couple of specific ideas for some reason...