Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Can I put an Alternative Ability into a Modular Slot?

Greetings, all!

At some point, flexible characters become more efficient using Modular Abilities than Alternate/Alternative Abilities. So here's the question: can I put an Alternate (i.e. 1/5th cost) ability into a Modular Slot to save points? Either way, why yes/no?

Thanks in advance to all who answer!
Old 09-23-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
Harald B

Default Re: Can I put an Alternative Ability into a Modular Slot?

I don't see anything against it out of hand, but how would you imagine it working conceptually and what would be the added value over switching through modular abilities?
Harald B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:19 AM   #3
Mehmet
MIB

I think - I may be over-reacting through my power play alarm system, by the way, the authors may have thought it inherently balanced - I'd only allow it if my setting has "package deals." This may be a "ultra USB slot" equipped with a "Ladar chip" that has a promotional alternative "Sonar" for instance (and only for another 1000 Nuyens!).

Cheerio!
Old 09-23-2007, 04:29 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet
I think - I may be over-reacting through my power play alarm system, by the way, the authors may have thought it inherently balanced - I'd only allow it if my setting has "package deals." This may be a "ultra USB slot" equipped with a "Ladar chip" that has a promotional alternative "Sonar" for instance (and only for another 1000 Nuyens!).

Cheerio!
Long time no see!

Anyway, the idea is indeed similar:

"Here's this 5-bolted fantasy xbow, plus this magic bag of various magical bolts, but you can only pull out 1 at a time until you shoot it."
Old 09-23-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Mehmet
MIB

Yep, I'm back, finally ;)

Well, as long as the PC don't get to design on-the-fly power/alternative power combos for that slot, it should be alright. Even that may be alright but it seems very abusable.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
PK

I'd certainly let you take the Modular Ability as an AA to another power. I've built a Green Lantern rip-off that way. (Buy a crapload of TK, and then add a few AA Innate Attacks and an AA Cosmic Power.)

I'm not so sure about letting someone take a normal Modular Ability and then using it to buy an ability that they define as an AA to another ability -- it seems like it goes against the spirit of what an AA is. I'm not dismissing it out of hand, though -- I'd have to think about it.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
Bruno

What happens to the points in your Modular Ability if the whole AA scheme is taken offline?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
vitruvian

Quote:
What happens to the points in your Modular Ability if the whole AA scheme is taken offline?
I'd say that if your Modular Ability is only for making AAs to another ability (which is probably the only way I'd allow this construct), then certainly it becomes unavailable as normal for any AA. If for some reason AAs was only one of the things you could pull out of the MA, at least you'd be limited to non-related traits bought without the 1/5 cost thing. And like any other AAs, the traits bought as such need to make sense as alternates.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
Fnordianslip

Sure, I'd let that work. Here's why. Let's say you spend 100 points on a 5 point cosmic modular pool that works for mental and physical. That will let you make an alternate ability for any power you have that costs 25 points or less. On the other hand, you could have bought 20 AAs for 25 point abilities. A pretty fair trade. If the modular ability is limited to be cheaper, that's still fine, as it would be less accessible than an AA. The only stipulation I would add in is that if you're using your pool for an AA, and either the original ability or the modular one are crippled or negated, you lose access to the modular ability for as long as you lose access to the base ability.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
The only stipulation I would add in is that if you're using your pool for an AA, and either the original ability or the modular one are crippled or negated, you lose access to the modular ability for as long as you lose access to the base ability.
Um, why? This one doesn't seem to make sense, at least unless the MA is limited to only provide AAs:

If I have a magic crossbow (Innate Attack), and a box'o'magicstuff (Modular Ability), I usually pull out various magic arrows out of the box (AAs to the normal xbow attack), why does my magic box become disabled? If it is not limited to only providing magic bolts, why would it fail to provide other managadgets?