Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 01-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
AOTA

Default JTAS SJG version

Got my Kickstarter reward JTAS SJG version USB drive today. Nice to see all those old articles in one place.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
cptbutton

Default Re: JTAS SJG version

I got it also, but am having a lot of trouble copying it to my Win 7 hard drive. I assume this is some bug/problem with large files but it is a pain.

Edit:

At least one other person had a problem, and Mr. Miller sent us download links, which has worked, although I have not thoroughly tested it yet.

Last edited by cptbutton; 01-29-2018 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Followup information
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
AOTA

After looking through the old and new files there is a lot of bad data in there. Broken images and jumbled up articles.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
After looking through the old and new files there is a lot of bad data in there. Broken images and jumbled up articles.
Check your email or the Kickstarter website. There may be a Dropbox download link there. If not, message or comment to Mr. Miller and he will send you the link. Which is 1.8 gig, so it may take a while or eat up quota, keep that in mind.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:01 AM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I haven't come across any articles that are severely mangled, but about 1/3 of the images seem to be mangled so I wouldn't doubt if some of the articles are mangled as well. And I got the download link, but the zip file contains mangled files too. Interestingly, the zip file had some different corrupted files than the thumb drive did; My thumb drive had the JTAS banner image intact, but in the zip file it was corrupted. For now I'm hanging onto both.

The default index files that Marc provided uses frames and uses the screen real estate somewhat poorly. I wound up spending a little time making my own index page with a better layout. A lot of the articles have non-standard ascii characters that crept into them, which causes some odd formatting issues.

I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the files, but extremely happy to see them all together again. Marc has said that he's planning on cleaning things up and providing another download in the future, so hopefully he'll get the corrupted files fixed at some point.

If anybody is interested I've set up a download link for my replacement index files. You'll need to unzip these files into the JTAS folder on the thumb drive. It will replace the index.html file as well as some of the other index HTML files with cleaned up versions, however it does *NOT* contain or replace any of the article files - meaning it's utterly useless if you didn't buy the JTAS archive.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-04-2018 at 03:13 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
marvin

What Kickstarter are you referring to? I can’t find anything about this on Kickstarter or Far Futures websites. I would really like access to the old SJGames JTAS. Are they going to be made public?
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Marc Miller did a Kickstarter called Grognard to publish a book of Loren K. Wiseman's Traveller editorials. Several of the extra tiers allowed purchasing of the old JTAS print magazine PDFs and the SJGames JTAS archive.

FFE has the JTAS CD-ROM listed on their website as in production. I do not know when the CD-ROM will be available for purchase, as Marc got a little backed up with work due to some medical issues near the end of last year.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
marvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Marc Miller did a Kickstarter called Grognard to publish a book of Loren K. Wiseman's Traveller editorials. Several of the extra tiers allowed purchasing of the old JTAS print magazine PDFs and the SJGames JTAS archive.

FFE has the JTAS CD-ROM listed on their website as in production. I do not know when the CD-ROM will be available for purchase, as Marc got a little backed up with work due to some medical issues near the end of last year.
Thanks, found it. Darn I wish I had seen this. Not just for JTAS but also because I miss Loren and his contributions to sci-fi.
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
SteveS

I'm still looking forward to my Grognard Kickstarter goodies.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
jcfiala

Not being a huge GURPS Traveller fan, I only backed for the book. It's a great book, and my only sadness is that this wonderful intelligent man I'm getting to know is no longer around. :(
jcfiala is offline   Reply With Quote