Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #81
John_A_Tallon

Default Re: Making more ammo stuck on a low tech world.

What about using high power air guns? Depending on how much bang you actually need, you can get by with a bullet mold and a hand pump.
John_A_Tallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #82
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I agree. I am a vet and I know a dozen people who can make the equivalent of TL5 rifles and ammo in their garage. I know no one that can do the same with the equivalent of a TL8 rifle or ammo in their garage.
Making TL7 rifles in a garage, so to speak, is a well-proven practice.

And ammo is done all the time...from already-made brass casings, bullets, propellant, and primers. Making those parts from scratch, that's the rub.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #83
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post

And ammo is done all the time...from already-made brass casings, bullets, propellant, and primers. Making those parts from scratch, that's the rub.
Although if they came prepared to do this, with the appropriate equipment and expertise, it should be possible to do all of it, although probably not on an industrial scale.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:25 AM   #84
Anthony

Quote:
Given TL 7 tools, ammo, and bulk metal, sure. A lot of the 100:1 is the amount of ammo used.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #85
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Given TL 7 tools, ammo, and bulk metal, sure. A lot of the 100:1 is the amount of ammo used.
We have TL8 tools here, ammo isn't consumed to make rifles, and TL5 society has the metal, if not as cheaply as you might like.

I don't know what you mean by the '100:1', though I note you dropped the part of my post that talked about ammo from your quote.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #86
Anthony

Quote:
We have TL8 tools here, ammo isn't consumed to make rifles, and TL5 society has the metal, if not as cheaply as you might like.
Tools are in fact limited lifespan objects, ammo is required to make rifles useful, and TL 5 doesn't have good quality steels.
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by the '100:1', though I note you dropped the part of my post that talked about ammo from your quote.
A lot of the benefit of higher TL rifles is the ability to rapidly burn through large quantities of ammunition. That's only useful if you have large quantities of ammunition to burn through (if you're ammo isn't cheap enough to justify burst fire, there's no reason to have an assault rifle).
Old 11-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #87
AlexanderHowl

Sniper rifles offer a good alternative to assault rifles if you want to be effective rather than intimidating (though killing someone from over two miles away can be quite intimidating). I imagine that a McMillan TAC-50 with 10,000 rounds of ammo and a dozen sets of replacement parts would last a lifetime and would cost less than a spacecraft.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #88
mr beer

I believe that a few snipers with modern long range rifles might well be decisive on a Napoleonic battlefield. If musket ranges were up to 100 yards say, and your guys are picking off officers and NCOs from 500 yards away, that's going to cause havoc.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #89
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Less than TL7 if the rifle is an AK-47. Incidentally, that weapon and the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge that goes with it is _very_ likely to be a better choice for this undertaking than the M16 and 5.56mm.

Still, those handmade AK-47s coming out of remote regions of Pakistan and similar places are being made to shoot plentiful factory-made ammo.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #90
AlexanderHowl

That is a good point. In the case of many modern weapons, ammunition quality is key. Handmade ammunition should probably cause a number of problems unless the person making it is an expert.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammo, gurps, high tl, low tl