Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #11
khorboth

Default Re: power-gain incentives for being worshipped like a god?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Any ability you like, powered from an ER with Special Recharge (Worship). No worship, no kewl powerz.
This is very similar to how I ran it in my Greek game. Being Greek, though, it took sacrifice to generate energy. 1 or 2 for grain. 30 for a healthy bull. GM judgement for everything between.

I also allowed the god to peer at the site for free, briefly manifest for 1 energy, and go there for 5. Each god had different powers they could use at ritual sites without manifestation as well. This was useful for keeping the sacrafices flowing.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #12
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Well, that's good but it works both ways - Pact is exactly the setup for powers granted to mortals by their deity.
Having it on both sides just makes it more like a contract where each side gets something from the other. I don't see an issue with it.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:07 AM   #13
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Having it on both sides just makes it more like a contract where each side gets something from the other. I don't see an issue with it.
Neither do I, the point I was making is that if neither side gets from the arrangement much more juice than the other, in GURPS terms the points spent for the Advantages and the points gained from the Disadvantages work out to 0.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #14
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Neither do I, the point I was making is that if neither side gets from the arrangement much more juice than the other, in GURPS terms the points spent for the Advantages and the points gained from the Disadvantages work out to 0.
I'm not sure what you mean? Pact would be applied as a limitation to whatever powers each side gets, with the cost depending on the power. It's a modifier, rather than an advantage or disadvantage.

Besides even if you do it as a patron/duty, it doesn't always work out to exactly 0. The classic case is a patron that you can call on more often than they require you (through your duty) to do things.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:42 AM   #15
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'm not sure what you mean? Pact would be applied as a limitation to whatever powers each side gets, with the cost depending on the power. It's a modifier, rather than an advantage or disadvantage.

Besides even if you do it as a patron/duty, it doesn't always work out to exactly 0. The classic case is a patron that you can call on more often than they require you (through your duty) to do things.
Yes, it does not necessarily work out to exactly 0.

Tags
minor addiction, non-chemical addiction, required disadvantage, spirit empathy, telepathy