Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
DrewAstolfi67

Default Sword and Planet Sandbox Setting

Hi all,

COVID let me have a lot more time than usual and I finally finished a reworking of the TFT setting of my long-lost childhood. It was really fun to revisit it and to play in it again. It's a Sword and Planet setting - humans struggle with Isotoperans and Reptoids amid the ruins of a post-human civilization. (All to the tune of Blue Oyster Cult).

I found the notes for it (about 20 handwritten sheets with drawings and scribbles and lots of declining ST notes) that we accumulated over two years in a box in my parent's attic when I was helping them clear it out. I've been an OSR person for a few years and a friend of mine who did a hack of Chainmail urged me to write it up. It has an OSR feel - it's full of anachronism and content is really colored by the 1970's movies and books that we all loved back then.

Honestly, I spent way too much time updating it (and bugging my friends to do some art). Humbly offering it here for comment and review. I'd really love feedback. Not looking to publish it, but might try and find a place to offer it for free.

Anyway here is my draft:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa4bizlc0i...Draft.pdf?dl=0

Also, in case Sword and Planet is not familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_and_planet

Last edited by DrewAstolfi67; 04-11-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: Sword and Planet Sandbox Setting

If you set it to the tune of Blue Oyster Cult, you better have rules for Reapers[1], Godzilla and Psychic Wars.

[1] The first rule of reapers is not to fear them, obviously.

ETA: Okay, definitely plenty of options for Psychic Wars included. You've done a lot here. May take a while to get the overview...

Last edited by phiwum; 04-11-2021 at 04:17 PM.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
DrewAstolfi67

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
If you set it to the tune of Blue Oyster Cult, you better have rules for Reapers[1], Godzilla and Psychic Wars.

[1] The first rule of reapers is not to fear them, obviously.

ETA: Okay, definitely plenty of options for Psychic Wars included. You've done a lot here. May take a while to get the overview...
Psychic Wars...AND the Soft Doctrines AND a Cultosaur...probably should have considered a Reaper tho.

Thank you for looking at it!
Old 04-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
phiwum

I've only glanced at it so far. I found the wagon wheel artwork charming as heck though. I imagine lots of the other work took more effort and skill, but I kinda liked the wagon wheel, I must say.

There seems to be a lot of thought in it. I must confess that my settings are a lot more vanilla.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #5
amenditman

Looks nice. I've been doing something like it, but much less organized than you. Mine was inspired by Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World. We played those a lot after one or two sessions of White Box Orig D & D confused us.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #6
DrewAstolfi67

I loved Gama World back in the day, and I was fascinated with Metamorphosis Alpha, but I never actually played it. I have toyed with the idea of taking my Faded Blue Sun players into a space Mega dungeon loosely based on the Warden...I think it would be fun, but I never really got it together to do it.

I'd love to see your stuff if your willing to share!
Old 04-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #7
amenditman

I don't have stuff. I make everything up as we go along. Throw out a few loosely scripted story hooks and then just react to whatever the players do.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #8
DrewAstolfi67

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenditman View Post
Throw out a few loosely scripted story hooks and then just react to whatever the players do.
Often the best way!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #9
zot

Very cool stuff -- shared your doc with my friends. There's a lot of overlap with Moorcock's writing as well (both in the setting and in Blue Oyster Cult's music :) )
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
amenditman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewAstolfi67 View Post
Often the best way!
Yes, but can get very tiring as the GM. Always on high alert for cues to run with, and lots of running.