Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #621
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

I do not believe that their HP rounds up, nor does anything else. For example, an individual with HP 12 and Basic Move 6 would have HP 0.083 and Basic Move 0.041. Anyway, a SM-4 cat can trample you without difficulty (good luck dodging when their paws are larger than your move for the turn).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:42 PM   #622
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do not believe that their HP rounds up, nor does anything else. For example, an individual with HP 12 and Basic Move 6 would have HP 0.083 and Basic Move 0.041. Anyway, a SM-4 cat can trample you without difficulty (good luck dodging when their paws are larger than your move for the turn).
I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing for exactly... Also, in GURPS you almost always round to the nearest whole number. This should probably be rounded up since everything should have at least one HP. Is there even a RAW example of reducing Basic Move or HP to a fraction? I don't recall one. I'm not sure I'd advocate for one either. It's a game - stuff should have at least 1 HP to prevent exactly the case you presented - fractional attributes are weird. We literally only have one (Basic Speed) and that's likely one too many.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:42 AM   #623
AlexanderHowl

No, characters always round up for point costs but usually round down otherwise unless an explicit exemption says otherwise (Basic, p. 9). Since Shrinking does not explicitly state an exemption, someone shrank by SM-13 would technically do 0 Damage and have 0 HP, 0 Reach, 0 Move, etc.

Personally, I prefer scaling in those cases. Therefore, a SM+0 human would have their Damage, HP, Reach, Move, etc. multiplied by 144x against a SM-13 victim. An average person with no combat training would stomp for 86d+1 crushing damage. Since their feet would cover a greater area than the Move of their target, I would count the attack as an automatic success because the target is effectively stationary. Of course, the SM+0 human would likely not even notice them.

Insects become a big problem for a SM-13 human. A 2" roach is the equivalent of an elephant to a SM-13 human, and it is carnivorous. It would bite for 4d crushing damage and move lightning fast compared to the SM-13 human. Even a tiny SM-13 ant would be an issue, as the 1 HP toxic attack would deal 36d of toxic damage to a SM-13 human.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:05 AM   #624
Christopher R. Rice

This is the last post I'm going to make on this in this thread because while it's peripherally germane, the RAW doesn't make it explicit what is what. I think that within the rules as presented something with 0 HP ought to either not be possible or be called out specifically for what happens. I suppose something with 0 HP would mean even one point of damage destroys it - something like a bug. But the rules don't really seem to support it. Also, it's a *game* - HP is a gameable abstract, having something with 0 HP would make things weird. Finally, in this case the rounding issue should be up since HP has a point cost and you're modifying it. This isn't something going on in combat and/or is not a feat/contest - you're effectively modifying the template of the target.

And that's all I have to say on the matter.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #625
X the Unknown

Thanks all for your responses. Once again we see the varied ways that RPM can be interpreted/used, which is why I keep asking questions. Thankfully I've gotten a lot of great advice here.

I just remembered that I had copied CRR's and PK's expanded response from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Altered Traits
Into my RPM Cheat Sheet (that's now 24 pages long) and had forgotten it. I think I'm going with CRR's version of the ritual as this is a fairly magic rich fantasy setting, but not quite DF, and the other ritual was just too costly. I am allowing the special enhancements for a price.

Shrink
Spell Effects: Greater Transform Body
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This ritual cause any living thing weighing 300 lbs. or less, within 2 yards, to shrink 13 Size Modifiers (SM). A normal human would shrink down to a ½”. It takes 13 seconds for this to occur, and when the ritual is over, it takes 13 seconds to return to its original size. See Shrinking (B p. 85) for additional effects. The cost modifiers for any of the Special Enhancements to Shrinking must be applied to the full ritual cost.

Typical Casting: Greater Transform Body [8]+ Subject Weight: 300 lbs. [3] + Duration: 1 hour [3]
Cost: 42 energy (14x3)

Last edited by X the Unknown; 01-19-2021 at 05:50 PM.
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #626
AlexanderHowl

It would be 42 energy (since it has one greater effect) and would allow a resistance roll.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #627
X the Unknown

Yeah, it would. I was rushed at the end. Sorry.
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #628
the_matrix_walker

So a witch walks out of a movie theater and gets to thinking...

Queue John Williams...

Greater Strengthen Energy (3) Turns a beam of light into a deadly stream of energy
Greater Control Energy (5) Shapes that energy into a blade
Lesser Control Energy (5)
Lesser Sense Energy (2)
Altered Traits: Lightsaber Defaults to any sword skill (1)
Bestows a Bonus: Lightsaber Skill, Duration
Greater Effects: 2 (x5)

This spell is cast on a flashlight. When the spell senses the flashlight is turned on, it enhances the beam with high-energy photons that cause severe burning damage in a bright-colored blade. The color is chosen at the time of casting.

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Energy (3) + Greater Cotrol Energy (5) + Lesser Control Energy (5) + Lesser Sense Energy (2) + Altered Traits: Lighsaber Defaults to any sword skill (1) + Bestows a Narrow Bonus, Skill used for lightsaber +3 (8) + Damage, External Burning, 9d (8) + Destructive Parry, +10%; Switchable, +10%; Melee Attack, [1,2], -20% (0) + Duration, 30 minutes (2). 170 Energy (34*5).
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #629
the_matrix_walker

Some rituals I've been working on for my latest MH game... I wrote a few RPM users in the past but never got to use one in-game before. I'm quite excited to finally get some RPM play!

Quote:
Magic Weapon
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Matter + Lesser Control Matter
Modifiers: Altered Traits, Bestows a Bonus, Bestows a Penalty, Duration, Subject Weight

This spell can be cast on any melee weapon, and the bearer appears to be a remarkable combatant

Typical Casting: Lesser Strengthen Matter (3) + Lesser Control Matter (5) + Altered Traits, Uses effective casting Path Skill as Weapon Skill (0) + Bestows a Broad Bonus, +4 to Hit, damage and parry rolls (40) + Bestows a Broad Bonus, +4 Critical Success range (40) + Bestows a Broad Penalty, -4 to Active Defenses (40) + Enchancements, Armor Piercing 1/10 (40) + Duration, 1 month (11) + Subject Weight, 10lbs (0) 179 energy (179x1).
And for stuff out of melee range...
Quote:
Bow of the Ancestors
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Matter + Lesser Control Matter
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Bestows a Bonus, Bestows a Penalty, Damage Enhancements.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This Ritual is cast upon a bow. For the duration, when the bowstring is drawn back, an arrow materializes knocked and ready to be fired such that two can be fired in the same action. The magic of the spell can enhance the arrows for special effects and help guide the arrow to its target.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Lesser Control Matter (5) + Altered Traits: Uses effective casting Path Skill as Bow Skill (0) + Bestows a Moderate Bonus, to hit and Damage +5 (32) + Bestows a Broad Penalty, -4 to Active Defense (40) + Bestows a Broad Bonus, +4 Critical Success range (40) + Long Range, +50%; Rapid Fire, RoF 2, +40%; Armor Piercing 1/10, +200% (58) + Duration, 1 month (11) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs (0). 192 energy (192x1).
I tossed force field on this magic resistance to protect what he's carrying, but I'm wondering if it has any effect in retrospect, as MR doesn't affect the caster's effective skill and inanimate objects don't get any kind of resistance IIRC. I have to discuss this one with my GM to see if it will have an effect... or perhaps I can use another ritual (lesser create Mind or Spirit) to grant my gear just enough consciousness to get a resistance roll... Opinions welcome!
Quote:
Protection from Magic
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Destroy Magic + Lesser Sense Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Added Traits. Bestows a Bonus, Duration.

While protected by this ritual, the target has a standard spell ward with a +5 bonus to the effective casting skill. In addition, the subject and all they carry are protected with Improved Magic Resistance in the event the ward is ineffective. The subject is also able to sense some details about spells cast on them, or an ongoing spell or spelled item the subject touches or area they enter.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Destroy Magic (5) + Leser Sense Magic (2) + Added Traits: Improved Magic Resistance 20, Force Field, +20%, Switchable, +10% (130) + Bestows a Narrow Bonus, this ward +5 (16) + Duration, 1 week (9). 167 energy (167*1).
Stuff hurts, and death blows.
Quote:
Death Ward
Spell Effects: Greater Strengthen Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits.
Greater Effects: 1(x3).

This spell makes the subject creature able to survive devastating injury and grants them immunity to pain.

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Traits, Unkillable 1 [50], Immunity to Pain [30] (80) + Duration 1 month (11) + Subject Weight 3,000 lbs. (5). 297 energy (99x3).
A double-duty protection spell against were-creatures and Psionic opponents
Quote:
Bane to the Terrors that Walk Like Men
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Mind + Lesser Control Body + Lesser Strengthen Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Added Traits, Bestows a Bonus.

When the NeoCerebrum took control of a clan of were-Eagles, a common defense was required. While protected by this ritual, the target has a ward against Lycanthropes with a +5 bonus to the effective casting skill. In addition, they are protected from mental intrusions.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Mind (5) + Lesser Control Body (5) + Lesser Strengthen Mind (3) + Added Traits: Mind Shield 20 (80) + Bestows a Narrow Bonus, this ward +5 (16) + Duration, 1 week (9). 118 energy (118*1).
I was considering ways of keeping zombies from getting to the bystanders while we cleaned them up... I considered a Control Undead to make them think they wanted saltwater fish to sate their unending hunger rather than flesh (since we were on a boat), but I decided to come up with something a little more generic.
Quote:
Safeguard the Living
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Undead.
Inherent Modifiers: Added Traits, Area of Effect.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

This spell causes undead within the area to be filled with an aversion to the living and are unable to approach within 6 yards of them.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Undead (5) + Added Trait: Dread, 6 yards, Living creatures (Common x3) [-45] (9) + Area of Effect (2) + Duration, 30 min (2) + Range, 2 yards (0) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 63 energy (21x3).
I recalled somewhere that a one use trait could be made re-usable at 5x cost, so I tried taking advantage of that in this ritual
Quote:
Resurrection
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Spirit + Greater Restore Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits.
Greater Effects: 2 (x5).

This spell will cause the dead subject to return to life.

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Spirit (4) + Greater Restore Body (4) + Altered Traits, Extra Life, persistant, x5 (125) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 680 energy (136x5).

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 04-03-2021 at 12:42 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #630
Steen

Working on a cyber-sorcerer kind of character, and I'm a little in doubt of how to model a ritual that halts the energy flow in the circuit of any mechanical device. This is it so far:

Short Circuit
Spell effects: Lesser Destroy Energy
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: 0 (x1)

This ritual forces the target mechanical device within 10 yards to shut down, if it depends on an energy circuit to operate.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Energy (5) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 13 Energy (13x1)

This seems to me like a simple and straightforward ritual, but I can't figure out whether it would apply to robots as well. Would it need to be a separate ritual with the Affliction, Unconsciousness (40) modifier? It seems weird to have to separate the ritual into two, despite essentially doing the same thing. But from a balance perspective, I could see why, since knocking a robot unconscious for 10 minutes with a simple 13 energy ritual seems rather broken.

Maybe it would be a Lesser ritual against non-sentient devices (radios, surveillance cameras, etc) but a Greater ritual against IQ 6+ targets? But that would still separate the ritual into two distinct rituals.
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology