Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 PM   #21
Phantasm

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

One possible plotline: A rival corporation hires an industrial spy to steal proprietary technology that has not been patented (because the corp's hiding the details and wishes to maintain total secrecy). If successful, because the technology was never patented the rival corp could file for the patents, leaving Genesis in a potential legal limbo. Even if Genesis wins the legal battle to get the technology back, the details have now become a matter of record. Goodbye secrecy!

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Old 01-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #22
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Ah, chattel slavery on an incomprensibly vast scale. You just don't see it like you used to.
Not all of them, just the key ones.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #23
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I d...
1. So its better not to patent it to keep secrecy, okey.
2. About thirty years.
3. I will lower it to $13,000, which I think to be the minimum for a high qualified professional.
4. Governments and financial companies. Maybe I will just create two kinds of shares, with the leader being supervoting ones.
5. About sixteen years ago. The pre-merger valuation could have been about 120 billions total (30 billion dollars each).
6. Yes, thats what I thought. Could they do that with supervoting shares, or they need to own an specific share of equity?
7. How would you use the White Queen?
*The first level is the general one, for warehouses, hospitals, offices, factories, stores, etc. The second one is the research one, for laboratories and such.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 PM   #24
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
One possible plotline: A rival corporation hires an industrial spy to steal proprietary technology...
Sounds good and difficult, a task for player characters.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 AM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
3. I will lower it to $13,000, which I think to be the minimum for a high qualified professional.
Maybe you mean something different by "professional" than I do. But in California, at least, I would expect an entry level professional to make from three to five times that. There's an active movement in the US to raise minimum wage for ANY job to $15 an hour, or $30,000 a year; you're envisioning less than half that for an occupation that requires four or more years of college.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:07 AM   #26
mr beer

GURPS$ is not US$ though.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 AM   #27
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Maybe you mean something different by "professional" than I do. But in California, at least, I would expect an entry level professional to make from three to five times that. There's an active movement in the US to raise minimum wage for ANY job to $15 an hour, or $30,000 a year; you're envisioning less than half that for an occupation that requires four or more years of college.
$13,000 a month.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:29 AM   #28
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
GURPS$ is not US$ though.
Real US$ will buy different things depending on where you are, meaning that US$ are not US$, if you want to get into exact economic modelling.

The GURPS $ are well within the range for what US$ can mean for all sorts of goods and services, which makes it close enough for gaming work.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:57 AM   #29
Celjabba

A 2.6 million employee TL: 10/11 company that uses patented "innovative technologies such as intelligent machines, spacecraft, virtual reality and artificial life" mean that the whole planet is moving toward TL: 10/11 in the relevant field. 99%+ of the planet are still operating at TL-8, but we are out of the "experimental laboratory" at this stage.

You can have some secret labs working on high-TL stuff (although the spacecraft one is probably out unless you also have very high TL strealth tech.).

But you cannot claim to have a whole megacorp openly TL10/11 on a TL8 world and keep that setup stable without coercion.

Regarding the "indentured slaves" : the only way to enforce Duty (Genesis Inc, Involuntary) [-15] + Secret (death, illegal investigations) [-30] given Enemy (rival companies) [-20] and Enemy (The Worldwide Media) [-10] is by using company wide mind control (likely using tl11 drugs, so why not, its your game) but even with an AI running security, one mistake and its game over - welcome to jail.

Or you take over a minor country (codename: latveria) and turtle up.

Last edited by Celjabba; 01-11-2019 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:06 AM   #30
AlexanderHowl

GURPS $ are equivalent to US 1985 $, which are worth around 2.4x as much as US 2019 $. Since the nominal value is more important than PPP when we are talking about equivalent exchanges (rather than more abstract evaluations of value), a US 2019 $ is a US 2019 $, though people in other nations would have to convert to local currencies. Of course, that means that a GURPS personal computer would cost around $2,400 US 2019 $, which is the value of a decent gaming desktop.
Closed Thread