Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
finn

Default [Dungeons][DM only]My first experience in DFRPG/"I smell a Rat"

I just run my first DFRPG game today. I run "I Smell a Rat" with only a little modification. I will discuss some of the content of the adventure, so people should stop reading this post if they have not played or read "I Smell a Rat".

The PCs were 4 sample characters from "Delvers to Go". A Human Cleric, a Half-Ogre Barbarian, a Halfling Thief, and a Half-Elf Wizard.

Two of the players where well experienced in GURPS 3e but had limited experience in 4e. One was completely new to GURPS. The last one had played 2 GURPS Lite games in the past.

I ignored some rules from the system: Facing, Deceptive Attack, Faint, and Rapid Strike.

I kept Shock, but simplified Major Wounds/Stun/falling to "If you take more than 1/2 HP damage in one turn, you have a -4 penalty to your defenses the next turn". I really wanted to lower the number of times you roll against HT.

The only rule I think I should have kept is Deceptive Attacks. It would have helped the Barbarian against the foe with multiple Parries at 13 (I kept succeeding every Parry roll). Every other rule was worth cutting, though I will probably try to strike a different balance for Shock/Stun next time.

Everyone enjoined the adventure, even though we had to end the game after 2 major battles, for both character resource and play time reasons. The battles (except the random encounters) where tough and the gimmicks where appreciated.

It was pointed out that there wasn't a clear enough motivation to go beyond the rat-killing phase. There was also not enough reason to look for the secret door at the location where it was. I think these are fair criticisms, and I will amend the structure of the adventure when I play it next time to give clearer motivation and guidance to the PCs.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote