Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
tilemaker

Default Card categories?

I recently started playing Munchkins with the Bites! Set. And I went theough some of the cards and some have bonuses to help your combat level, but aren't labeled, "1 hand", "2 hand", "armor" or anything. Some examples are "black nail polish", "cape", and "evil eye shadow". They also don't say "Usable once only" on them. Please explain what the rules are for using these cards and what they're called.
tilemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Card categories?

They are like Headgear, Footgear, etc., but they don't take up any "slots" on your character.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
tremorlaine

They are wearable Items that give a continuous bonus. The only restrictions on them would be any Class/Race/Gender restriction they may have on them. You can use as many of them as you want as long as you aren't restricted as above.

Future site of Griffon Gaming
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
tilemaker

Thank you very much! I understand! Also, are there different rules on zombie and cthulu set? It seems like they are completely different ways to play from what I've seen! And also like you read in the first post I only have the Bites! Set, what set should I get next? The original, or a different theme? And what are some stores that you can find these at? I've only seen them at Barnes and Noble and a small comic book store at my local mall.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Clipper

Each set does have slight variations to the rules. I chart them all so you can see which sets have which rules variations in the Rules Checklist that is linked in my signature. For example, Cthulhu has special rules for one of its particular Classes that even includes a different way to end the game.

Bites! has an expansion, called Munchkin Bites! 2: Pants Macabre so you might want to get that first, but as for new core sets, I suggest you get the theme which interests you the most for your next set. All the sets are pretty great and there is no set that rules over all the others as being better in my opinion.

As for where to get them, SJG has a Store Finder function to find a Friendly Local Game Store where you should be able to find the full range. As I'm in Australia, I buy most of my stuff from the official web store, Warehouse 23, as the local prices for games here are heavily inflated, so it saves me a LOT (which is true for all entertainment products here).
Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
tilemaker

I will check out the store finder! The one's that are at the Barnes and Noble are Bites!, original, and zombies. So I think I'll get the original next then, get a different one next. And I've seen the zombie kill count accesory, what's that for?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Mister Ed

The Kill-O-Meters are a convenient way to track the combat strength of the Munchkins (on one side) or Monsters (on the reverse). One or the other, though. Since both sides use the same dials, you can't track both numbers on the same Kill-O-Meter.

Generally they come with some kind of card(s), though I don't know the specifics for the Zombies one. I've only got the Original version.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilemaker View Post
I will check out the store finder! The one's that are at the Barnes and Noble are Bites!, original, and zombies. So I think I'll get the original next then, get a different one next. And I've seen the zombie kill count accesory, what's that for?
Kill-O-Meters are an accessory that lets you more easily calculate your combat strength (or that of the monsters). They have rotating dials that allow you to display the number and easily adjust it as you get new Items and so on. They also come with unique cards (for the set that the Kill-O-Meter is themed to).
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
tilemaker

Oh that makes sense! Thank you! Also I've played a couple games and I've realised that I end up with alot if items in play, mire than my opponent. It may just because it's unbalanced because I've only played as 2 people. I'm not sure. Also, the game ends up ending pretty fast. I'm playing it right as far as I can tell!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Clipper

Yeah, that would be one of the reasons why the game box and rules say the game is for 3-6 players. While all the rules still make sense with 2 players, the game can tend to get a bit lopsided.

Tags
bites!, items